kikoo791
kikoo791
France
Local time: 21:02
English to French
+ ...
Apr 16, 2008

Hi everyone!

I am a French young man, currently actively seeking a 6-month internship opportunity in the UK in the field of translation. I graduated in Foreign Languages (equivalent to a Ba Hons with English and Italian) and already have some experience as a trainer and translator.

Do you know companies that would recruit me, or generally employ interns? If you could let me know, it would be kind.
... See more
Hi everyone!

I am a French young man, currently actively seeking a 6-month internship opportunity in the UK in the field of translation. I graduated in Foreign Languages (equivalent to a Ba Hons with English and Italian) and already have some experience as a trainer and translator.

Do you know companies that would recruit me, or generally employ interns? If you could let me know, it would be kind.

Here is my e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you.

Henri GUILLOTEAU
Collapse

Marian Vieyra
Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:02
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Training Period as a Translator Apr 16, 2008

Bonjour Henri,

Signing up to Proz and putting your CV on the website is a good way to pick up paid work. You could also do voluntary translation work for the many companies out there helping the third world (Babel etc). There are many UK-based charity organisations that may recruit linguists (Save the Children etc).

Just so you know, in English a better way to introduce yourself would be:

"I'm a French national currently seeking a 6-month internship ..."<
... See more
Bonjour Henri,

Signing up to Proz and putting your CV on the website is a good way to pick up paid work. You could also do voluntary translation work for the many companies out there helping the third world (Babel etc). There are many UK-based charity organisations that may recruit linguists (Save the Children etc).

"I'm a French national currently seeking a 6-month internship ..."

"Actively and currently" together sound odd

"I am a French young man" - I'm a young Frenchman is better (though French national is best).

Good luck
Collapse

kikoo791
kikoo791
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thx Apr 16, 2008

Marian Vieyra wrote:

Bonjour Henri,

"I'm a French national currently seeking a 6-month internship ..."

"Actively and currently" together sound odd

"I am a French young man" - I'm a young Frenchman is better (though French national is best).

Good luck

Many thanks!!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I suggest removing your e-mail address Apr 16, 2008

Hi Henri!

You will end up with a big spam problem if you paste up your e-mail address like that, anywhere at all on the Internet, including here. You can ask people to contact you via your profile page.

There are unfortunately not many internships in translation. It is predominantly a freelance profession. If you already have some experience, perhaps the best way to break into the profession would be to take on a normal job somewhere and look for translation work in you
... See more
Hi Henri!

You will end up with a big spam problem if you paste up your e-mail address like that, anywhere at all on the Internet, including here. You can ask people to contact you via your profile page.

There are unfortunately not many internships in translation. It is predominantly a freelance profession. If you already have some experience, perhaps the best way to break into the profession would be to take on a normal job somewhere and look for translation work in your spare time. You could answer translation job adverts (e.g. here on Proz.com), or also send your CV to various translation agencies.

A person who has recently graduated in foreign languages does not usually have the appropriate experience of the world of business to be a full-time freelancer immediately. Therefore any office job you could obtain would assist in giving you that experience. You need to know how an office is run in your own country before you can go into business as a freelancer yourself.

Another aspect is that translations have to be about a subject, and, if languages are the only subject you have studied to date, you really need to gain experience of another subject as well, especially a legal, technical or medical subject. If you could obtain an office job in a company that deals in a subject which you could envisage as being your future speciality, that would be ideal.

Astrid
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
SDL has a Translation Intern Programme Apr 18, 2008

http://www.sdl.com/en/company/careers/fullTime/interns.asp

kikoo791
kikoo791
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: SDL Apr 19, 2008

Thank you! I already applied, and am waiting for an answer of SDL. ;o)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Training period as a translator

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »