Thread poster: Crystal Samples

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
French to English
+ ...
May 20, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I hope this is in the right forum. I was hoping that you all could give me your opinion on something. I was thinking about the fact that there are so many subjects and fields in which to translate and there is no way that any translation curriculum could possibly teach them all, so I was wondering which subjects require a subject degree or advanced degree for adequate translation ability, and which subjects could be taught adequately in a translation program.

I believe that subjects like engineering, computer science, and physics are best translated by someone with an advanced degree and/or years of experience in that field. However, I notice that most translation programs offer coursework in the medical, legal, and business fields.

This question would be good for owners of agencies. For which subjects do you look for an advanced degree in the field and for which subjects do you look for a translation or advanced language degree. Also, graduates of translation programs; in which subjects did you receive translation training, and which subjects did you have to learn through further study or on the job?

Thanks everyone for your input,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transation degree vs. Subject/Field degree

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs