Mobile menu

CV/ Resume advice
Thread poster: Alison Woods
Alison Woods

Local time: 14:05
Spanish to English
Aug 7, 2008

I am a newcomer to the world of freelance translation and have some questions about how to show experience on a CV or Resume. I have limited volunteer experience and have never been paid for my work. All the work I have done so far has been related to human rights or international aid. How should I show my experience? Is it a good idea to name the organizations I've translated for (I don't believe any of them are very well known)? Should I write a short description of the types I've done before? Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

sdavidson
French to English
+ ...
CV Aug 7, 2008

I would definitly write in the organizations you've translated for, even if they're not known (or paying), maybe they could supply a reference or two?
I've read 'how to succeed as a freelance translator' by Corinne McKay and it was very insightful on many subjects as well as very interesting to read....

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:05
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Your resumé looks good Aug 8, 2008

Hi Allison, your profile and resumé look pretty good to me. You seem to have made the most of the education and experience you have. I do think it is a good idea to name the organizations you have worked for.

I did notice some discrepancies between your profile and resumé. For example, you say in your profile "I have done interpretation and translation work for Fortune 500 companies like Walt Disney World and T.Rowe Price" but that does not appear on your resumé.

Also, since most people will be looking at your resumé on screen rather than in print, I would try to eliminate all the tabs - they make it look crowded. Instead you could insert a table with 2 columns and make the gridlines invisible.

Good luck!

Gina Ferlisi
Local time: 20:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
More info on CV and profile Aug 8, 2008

More information on the profile page.... Your profile page is your business card , make it more interesting as possibile by also putting samples in your portfolio, or by adding most of your resume on your profile page...it has worked with me, many agencies stop on the first page without even downloading your CV...

Therefore , i think it is also important to put most of your information also on your profile page and if you can make it a bit more colourful..captures peoples attention!

Alison Woods

Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Aug 9, 2008

Thank you for all your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV/ Resume advice

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs