Thread poster: Juana
Juana
Juana
Ireland
Local time: 09:23
English to German
Aug 14, 2008

Hello,

I am a GermanEnglish translator and I am looking for a full-time job in Italy, preferrably in Milan.

Is there any translation agencies that are seeking to hire a translator with my language pairs? My Italian is very limited, but I would like to move to Italy for personal reason and I am hence trying to find a job I could do through either English or German.

I would be very grateful for some ideas.

See more
Hello,

I am a GermanEnglish translator and I am looking for a full-time job in Italy, preferrably in Milan.

Is there any translation agencies that are seeking to hire a translator with my language pairs? My Italian is very limited, but I would like to move to Italy for personal reason and I am hence trying to find a job I could do through either English or German.

I would be very grateful for some ideas.

Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
probably not full-time? Aug 15, 2008

Unlikely, I would think, if you don't have Italian.
But you never know, there could be some translation/teaching/editing contracts available for EN or DE speakers. Maybe you have translation project management experience? In-house linguist jobs are comparatively rare.

Juana
Juana
Ireland
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
just out of college Aug 15, 2008

Unfortunately I do not have any project management experience as such because I am just out of university. Fingers crossed I will find something.

Sabrina Treger
Sabrina Treger  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:23
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
same situation Aug 19, 2008

Hi Juana,

I'm German and I just moved to Italy (Marche) some months ago. Unfortunately, also my Italian is only very limited. We seem to have some things in common.... I just finished university, too. and (of course) I moved to Italy only for personal reasons....as the salary is much lower than in Germany.
You could send your CV to translation comp
... See more
Hi Juana,

I'm German and I just moved to Italy (Marche) some months ago. Unfortunately, also my Italian is only very limited. We seem to have some things in common.... I just finished university, too. and (of course) I moved to Italy only for personal reasons....as the salary is much lower than in Germany.
You could send your CV to translation companies that work also online....as well as in Milan. You are lucky because you live in a big city! Teaching English / German meanwhile could be also a solution as you are improving your Italian....
I'm also planning to start with a "real" job within a year. In the meantime I'm studying Italian.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-08-19 23:37]
Collapse

Juana
Juana
Ireland
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Sabrina Aug 19, 2008

Thanx for your comment, Sabrina. It is good to know that there are people out there with the same 'problem'. I guess the key to finding a good job in Italy is learning Italian. I definitely want to do that, however, I need some kind of financial back-up.

Does anybody know whether a TEFL certificate is required to teach English in Italy?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Why bother? Aug 19, 2008

There's plenty of freelance work available internationally in your pair, so if you're an EU citizen, why worry about getting a staff job there right away? You don't need one for residency as far as I know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

job in Italy

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »