DipTrans source text format when using a computer
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
Jan 12, 2009

Hi

I wonder if any body is taking this exam this week in the European College of Business and Management (ECBM) so that they can do it on a computer.

If so, do you happen to know if the source text is going to be given on paper or whether you will actually see it on the screen. Well, I know, it may not seem a very important question, but I would just like to know as much as the conditions you take this exam in as possible.

I profit to wish everyone taking t
... See more
Hi

I wonder if any body is taking this exam this week in the European College of Business and Management (ECBM) so that they can do it on a computer.

If so, do you happen to know if the source text is going to be given on paper or whether you will actually see it on the screen. Well, I know, it may not seem a very important question, but I would just like to know as much as the conditions you take this exam in as possible.

I profit to wish everyone taking the exam all the best!

Regards,

Marta
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
On paper last year at my local centre Jan 12, 2009

I word-processed my translations when I sat the DipTrans last year at the Brasshouse Centre in Birmingham. The source texts for all language pairs were on paper, so unless they've changed the arrangements since last year or they have different arrangements in place for different centres (which would surprise me), I think that's what you can expect. Do check your work extra-thoroughly, it's so easy to miss out a word or mistype something even when you think you're being careful... Good luck!

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 12, 2009

Hi

Thank you very much. Yes, I do not think the conditions would vary much between sites.

I will get hold of a paper tray then, as I might miss a line otherwise. Missing 5% of the source is a fail, and a line must be more than a 5%.

Well, in case any one is coming with me and happens by any remote chance to be reading this, I have asked direct about two other things:

- space around you: they told me that there is a fairly big table where you c
... See more
Hi

Thank you very much. Yes, I do not think the conditions would vary much between sites.

I will get hold of a paper tray then, as I might miss a line otherwise. Missing 5% of the source is a fail, and a line must be more than a 5%.

Well, in case any one is coming with me and happens by any remote chance to be reading this, I have asked direct about two other things:

- space around you: they told me that there is a fairly big table where you can place your dictionaries and book case (I think they said a book case) for you to place the dictionaries you are not using at any one time

- printing: in my case they'll be 15 people using the same printer on the room, so it is on everyone's interest to try and print as little as possible, recomending to print the text just twice (a draft and the definitive version to hand it for marking)

Regards,

Marta
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:45
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
It is usually always on paper Jan 12, 2009

I've done the Dip Trans for two different language combinations and the source text has always been on paper. I did German to English last year.

Knowing the IOL Educational Trust as I do, I don't think they will have gone entirely paperless just yet

Good luck for the exams,
Paul

Marian Vieyra
Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
DipTrans format Jan 13, 2009

Marta, yes they provide the same paper format for the exam to all candidates. Some people still like to write by hand.
You are given notice when you have to print out your text, about half an hour before the end, so you actually have a little less time than those writing their exam by hand.

I remember we had to use double-line spacing for handwritten work, you probably need to do so for type-written as well. Remember to set your spacing before you start!

¡Suer
... See more
Marta, yes they provide the same paper format for the exam to all candidates. Some people still like to write by hand.
You are given notice when you have to print out your text, about half an hour before the end, so you actually have a little less time than those writing their exam by hand.

I remember we had to use double-line spacing for handwritten work, you probably need to do so for type-written as well. Remember to set your spacing before you start!

¡Suerte!
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
DipTrans Jan 13, 2009

Marian Vieyra wrote:

This wasn't the case when I sat the exam - we were told at the Brasshouse Centre that we needed to have everything printed before it was time to hand in. No half-hour limit. I don't remember exactly what I did but I finished in time (and passed) so there wasn't a problem.

I second the advice to double-space your text.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers again Jan 13, 2009

Hi

Thank you all for the advice and the good wishes!

Yeap!, half an hour seems like a lot to me, though better be ready (if only mentally...) for that just in case.

Thanks for the double space tip too.

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2009-01-13 17:29 GMT]

Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
DipTrans source text format when using a computer Jan 13, 2009

I just took the exam today. Even though we could use a computer, the source text was on paper. We only had Word Pad, which I am not used to and we had to save our target texts on to a pen drive for the invigilator to print and this only took five minutes. Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-01-13 22:38 GMT]

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
most important... Jan 14, 2009

I meant to say yesterday, but forgot - good luck to anyone taking the exam this year (sounds like they are already happening).

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
feedback Jan 15, 2009

Hi

First to put things right and state the obvious mistake of my first post: 5% would be more than a line on a text with about 600 words...

I finally took the exam today and this was just to give some details in case someone finds them useful. In the college where I was taking the exam:

- most people where sitting at a big table with another person. So two terminals and two big shelves above where you can place your dictionaries

... See more
Hi

First to put things right and state the obvious mistake of my first post: 5% would be more than a line on a text with about 600 words...

I finally took the exam today and this was just to give some details in case someone finds them useful. In the college where I was taking the exam:

- most people where sitting at a big table with another person. So two terminals and two big shelves above where you can place your dictionaries

- we must have been about 15 in the room, so it was not very noisy at all, the only noise coming from the keyboards

- we did not have to print the definitive version half an hour before the end, so most people (but the fastests) printed the version to hand in during the last 10 minutes. You do have to make sure, of course, that it is printed by the end of the exam time

- they are using Word 2007. It took a bit for some of us to get the hang of where the icons and functions were, but they are there. Those who were too set on the 2003 ways and were completely lost, were helped to find the basics (ie. Print) and there were also some instructions on how to do the Header, Footer and so on. It is the student's responsibility, though, to ultimately make sure s/he knows all this beforehand, but they were thankfully very helpful

- the whole thing seemed very well organised to me

Best regards,

Marta

P.S.: I am not getting a commission for this post from the college, purely, really, just wanting to explain how it is like. I suppose it is similar every year, so someone might find it useful in 2010

[Edited at 2009-01-15 22:26 GMT]
Collapse

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is spell checking allowed? Feb 15, 2009

Interesting to read of people's experiences.

Those who have used computers in the exam, did they have spell checking dictionaries or were these removed or disabled?

The exam centre where I will most likely do the test only allows handwritten submissions, which is very artificial as every translator surely uses a computer and spell checks their work. It's an extra task to have to check target text spellings the long way (as well as being harder to edit handwritten work),
... See more
Interesting to read of people's experiences.

Those who have used computers in the exam, did they have spell checking dictionaries or were these removed or disabled?

The exam centre where I will most likely do the test only allows handwritten submissions, which is very artificial as every translator surely uses a computer and spell checks their work. It's an extra task to have to check target text spellings the long way (as well as being harder to edit handwritten work), so I'm wondering if it is worth using a different exam centre.

For the time being on my preparatory course I'm doing everything by hand.

[Edited at 2009-02-15 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans source text format when using a computer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »