Mobile menu

MSc in Translation at Imperial (London), is it a good idea if you want to be a researcher?
Thread poster: traductoni
traductoni
Local time: 08:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2009

Hi,

I am about to graduate with a Licenciatura en Traducción e Interpretación (BA in Translation and Interpreting) from the University of Granada (Spain).

I am very interested in research (especially the fields of Scientific and Technical Translation, Terminology, etc.).

I have found out about this MSc in Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology at Imperial College (London).

I get the impression it is too oriented to preparing proffesionals translators rather than researchers (although their webpage says you can pursue a research career after the MSc). Furthermore, none of the researchers at Imperial (as far as I know) are specialized in Scientific and Technical Translation research.

What do you recommend me?

Thank you very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Go for it! Feb 6, 2009

Hello!

You should choose your career development based on your vocation. You will determine or find out in the long run, whether your idea is good or not. Life will also interfere and lead you through unplanned paths.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that what you've learned is your most precious asset.

That said, if you have the opportunity and means - go for it! You will at least have inside information and make decisions based on knowledge.

I was a resercher in the biology area and had never considered working with languages. Language was tool. Now I use my biological and research experience in the translatiom area I have never regreted my choices or whatever drove me to take those choices. What is important to me is to learn and try to understand everything I can and - of course - have fun

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2003)
French to English
Talk to them! Feb 6, 2009

If I were you I would simply get in touch with Imperial and talk to them about your interests so that you can make an informed decision about whether the course is right for you.

Best,

Karen

Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
RETS Feb 6, 2009

Simply take a look at Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies, where the discipline is subcategorized, especially the parts dealing with technology in translation. Then, take a look at Machine Translation (MT), Machine Aided Human Translation (MAHT)-CATs fall in this category - Human Aided Machine Translation (HAMT) and terminology sections.

I think this is the very first step to recognize what you're interested in , then you can search for the universities and courses.

As far as I know there are good univerisites and courses offered in these areas in Spain per se.

Regrads,

[Edited at 2009-02-06 21:28 GMT]

Phil Bird
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
More for professional training Feb 8, 2009

traductoni wrote:

Hi,

I am about to graduate with a Licenciatura en Traducción e Interpretación (BA in Translation and Interpreting) from the University of Granada (Spain).

I am very interested in research (especially the fields of Scientific and Technical Translation, Terminology, etc.).

I have found out about this MSc in Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology at Imperial College (London).

I get the impression it is too oriented to preparing proffesionals translators rather than researchers (although their webpage says you can pursue a research career after the MSc). Furthermore, none of the researchers at Imperial (as far as I know) are specialized in Scientific and Technical Translation research.

What do you recommend me?

Thank you very much!

Hi, I'm currently studying on this course myself, so I thought that I might be able to add something... First, I'd second Karen's recommendation about giving them a call, it's the best way to find out what you need.

I think your assumption about the course being focused on professional training rather than research is fairly accurate. Having said that it would not be impossible to go on to research afterwards, it's just that there might be better courses. The course does cover translation theories and corpus-based research techniques.

It might also be a good idea to post a question in this forum for "Research based Masters in Translation" just to get comments from other people - this thread might be useful http://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/123808-masters_in_southern_england.html

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ask them Feb 10, 2009

I did the MSc in 2005, and am now a full-time translator.

My researching skills improved immensely during the course, but perhaps that was just from exposure and need, rather than specifically being taught about research skills.

However, all of the course coordinators are very friendly and will be more than happy to talk to you about whether the course is suitable for you and your needs.

Just call them!

traductoni
Local time: 08:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 22, 2009

Thank you very much to all those who have answered. It has been very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MSc in Translation at Imperial (London), is it a good idea if you want to be a researcher?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs