MA in Translation
Thread poster: Cathy Eddleston

Cathy Eddleston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Spanish to English
Mar 4, 2009

Hi all

I was hoping you may be able to help me a little. I am really interested in a career in tanslation. I am currently studying the CIoL prep course online through IH Barcelona. I have a BA Spanish.

I was planning to take the DipTrans through IOL but have read that this is only recognised within the UK. I have no intentions off living in the UK so am unsure if this exam will help me.

I have also read that to become a successful translator you need to have a 'speciality' like medical or technical. Is this right and if so how do you go about getting a speciallity?

One last question, I want to do an MA in Translation. Do you think this is neccesary to become a translator? Do you know any Spanish Universities where I could study this Spanish - English?

Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Direct link Reply with quote

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Finnish to English
MA Mar 4, 2009

MA translation studies courses are really useful but i wouldn't bother until you have some experience of translating

best

s

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some answers Mar 4, 2009

cat_edds wrote:

I was planning to take the DipTrans through IOL but have read that this is only recognised within the UK. I have no intentions off living in the UK so am unsure if this exam will help me.

It will help as much as passing the ATA, ITI or NAATI exams for certification. If English is your mother language or one of your source languages, it will be understandable anywhere around the world if you opt for CIoL or one of these.

I have also read that to become a successful translator you need to have a 'speciality' like medical or technical. Is this right and if so how do you go about getting a speciallity?

The best way is getting experience in a particular field. It helps to try translating in a few to see the fields that interest you, and to work your way from there. Several institutions offer a package, but those may not necessarily reflect where you'll be ten years from now.

Specialization is neither a requirement nor a guarantee for success, but it is true that successful translators tend to specialize (can you follow that logic?) What I mean is, that specialization is often decided once a certain degree of field experience has demonstrated that a translator is exceptionally better at certain things than at others. In some cases, the inverse is also true: an engineer may only want to translate subjects in his field, for instance.

One last question, I want to do an MA in Translation. Do you think this is neccesary to become a translator? Do you know any Spanish Universities where I could study this Spanish - English?

It may increasingly become necessary. Where once before there were only a handful of translation schools and translators usually came from linguistics or related fields, there are now many institutions offering translation on the undergraduate or MA level. This is not to say an MA is sine qua non, but it will help.

Spanish universities tend to be oriented towards the inverse (into-Spanish) combinations. A few, like the UAB, have native English staff who impart inverse courses, and several others like the UCM come to form part of exchange programs with the EU that enable them to have visiting professors from foreign institutions. Whatever language combination you may be interested in, the core theory course(s) will have the same content and lie at the heart of the curriculum. If you hold a BA Spanish degree, it may just be as interesting to take up one or two inverse courses to see how theory is applied, and take it from there.

I suggest you get further information from the Instituto Cervantes nearest to you. They would also be informed and aware of any scholarship options.

Spencer also mentions something true; in taking an MA, experience gives you an advantage.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in Translation

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs