Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

The British Comparative Literature Association and the British Centre for Literary Translation (University of East Anglia) have announced the John Dryden Translation Competition for 2005.

RULES

1. Entries must be translations of (extracts from) literary works, e.g.
... See more
The British Comparative Literature Association and the British Centre for Literary Translation (University of East Anglia) have announced the John Dryden Translation Competition for 2005.

RULES

1. Entries must be translations of (extracts from) literary works, e.g. novel, short story, essay, drama, poetry, prose. Translations from any period of the literature in question are eligible. The existence of copyright in any work places no restriction on its translation but only, in some cases, on publication of a translation. (Copyright clearance for winning entries may be effected after winners are announced.)

2. Entries must be the original work of the translator and must not, as a whole or in part, have been previously published, accepted for publication, broadcast, or entered for any other competition. Entries may be the collective work of any number of translators.

3. Entries must be submitted anonymously and each on a separate entry form. Each entry must consist of a) one photocopy of the source text; b) one photocopy of the translated text; c) the correctly completed entry form; d) the correct entry fee.

4. The source text must carry the name of its author and the title, and must be page-numbered. There must be nothing on it which might identify the translator.

5. Your translation must be double-spaced and on A4 sheets (or near equivalent). It must not exceed 25 pages. An excerpt or excerpts from longer works may be submitted but must not exceed this limit. The translation must be page-numbered and carry a title and there must be nothing on it which might identify the translator.

6. The source text and the translation must each be stapled or fixed with treasury tags or similar. Do not send loose sheets. Texts must not be stapled to one another or to cheques, banknotes or entry forms.

7. The entry fee of £5 sterling per entry should be sent either 1) in the form of a cheque drawn on a British bank payable to British Comparative Literature Association, or 2) an International Money Order, or 3) a postal order, or 4) a sterling banknote. This last, though discouraged by postal authorities, may be used in countries where other forms of payment are difficult to arrange. Do not send payments in any other currency or in any other form than the four given.

8. Translations from different languages or from different genres should be treated as separate entries. A maximum of three entries may be submitted per entrant.

9. There are no limitations on entrants with respect to age, nationality, place of residence, or professional status. No organiser, judge, reader, or their relatives, may enter.

10. If you wish your entry to be acknowledged, please enclose a stamped, addressed, self-seal envelope marked "ack", and if you wish to be notified of results in July, one marked "results". International response coupons are acceptable.

11. No entries will be returned, and correspondence cannot be entered into once entries have been received (as they are anonymised).

12. The decision of the Judges is final. We regret that no feedback on entries can be provided.

13. Any entries received after the closing date will, if eligible, be entered into next year's competition.

14. Entry into the competition signifies acceptance of all the Rules.

Entries, consisting of source text, your translation, an entry form, and the entry fee, should be sent to:

Dr Jean Boase-Beier
John Dryden Translation Competition

School of Language, Linguistics and Translation Studies
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ
England
Collapse

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:24
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
They're not very well organized May 10, 2006

Hello. Thanks for posting this Parrot. I actually intended to enter the comp. in 2005, but didn't have enough time. So I decided to enter the 2006 competition, and found that the website still referred to the 2005 competition, a situation which persisted until a month or two before the deadline.

Meanwhile, however, I emailed Jean (mentioned in your post), and after a while she replied, beginning with the confidence-inspiring words "I can't remember whether I have answered this or no
... See more
Hello. Thanks for posting this Parrot. I actually intended to enter the comp. in 2005, but didn't have enough time. So I decided to enter the 2006 competition, and found that the website still referred to the 2005 competition, a situation which persisted until a month or two before the deadline.

Meanwhile, however, I emailed Jean (mentioned in your post), and after a while she replied, beginning with the confidence-inspiring words "I can't remember whether I have answered this or not."

I did actually submit an entry, just in time (I had to email my entry to a colleague in England, who printed it out and sent it off by courier). I suspect I am a virtual shoo-in for the prize, as possibly the the only entrant....

Anyway, the competition has been held every year for some time, and I suspect it will go on being held. But don't hold your breath to hear about it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feb. 11/05: Deadline for the John Dryden Translation Competition

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »