Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

EU competitions: past papers
Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee

Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2005

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to obtain past papers for
EU competitions? I am particularly interested in legal papers/questions.

Many thanks in advance.
Jason

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It might help to indicate which EU agency Jan 10, 2005

I frankly don't know about 'past papers' (and I wouldn't be too sure those are freely circulated), but the Commission is different from the Court of Justice and the ECB, to give you an idea.

At the Commission, current events is a starting point: who's who, what each agency does, current 5-year plans, etc.. A second part is a written native speaker test in the general translation of your main source language, and both are generally given in one sitting.

Passing the initial exam qualifies you for a second test (main and second source language), after which there are interviews and possibly a third/fourth test (passive languages).

However, getting information/notifications about these competitions requires writing directly to the agency you are interested in, which could be in Brussels, Luxembourg, Frankfurt am Main, or elsewhere, depending on the agency/ies of your choice. (This is considerably easier than consulting the Official Journal everyday, but you might also want to do that).

Tests are given at the places indicated by the agency/ies. The tests themselves are described in the call for candidacies published in the Official Journal.

[Edited at 2005-01-10 13:06]

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
European Court of Human Rights Jan 10, 2005

is the institution I´m interested in. I´ll follow your advice and write to them directly. Many thanks...

Jason

Parrot wrote:

I frankly don't know about 'past papers' (and I wouldn't be too sure those are freely circulated), but the Commission is different from the Court of Justice and the ECB, to give you an idea.

At the Commission, current events is a starting point: who's who, what each agency does, current 5-year plans, etc.. A second part is a written native speaker test in the general translation of your main source language, and both are generally given in one sitting.

Passing the initial exam qualifies you for a second test (main and second source language), after which there are interviews and possibly a third/fourth test (passive languages).

However, getting information/notifications about these competitions requires writing directly to the agency you are interested in, which could be in Brussels, Luxembourg, Frankfurt am Main, or elsewhere, depending on the agency/ies of your choice. (This is considerably easier than consulting the Official Journal everyday, but you might also want to do that).

Tests are given at the places indicated by the agency/ies. The tests themselves are described in the call for candidacies published in the Official Journal.

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Did you mean the Court of Justice of the EU? Jan 10, 2005

The European Court of Human Rights is an institution of the Council of Europe, not the EU.

Lucia

Martina Ley
German to Czech
+ ...
Web reference Jan 10, 2005

For anything you may want to find about jobs or studying materials, test samples etc. ,go to http://www.europa.eu.int/ and click yourself to the site of the Recruitment Office of the EU.
Supposing, you are interested in a job with the EU (see the above post).

Good luck.

Martina

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh yes Jan 10, 2005

I forgot: useful link.

http://europa.eu.int/epso/index_en.htm

hirselina
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Council of Europe Jan 11, 2005

All recruitment procedures at the European Court of Human Rights are handled by the Council of Europe's Human Resources Directorate

See http://www.coe.int/

As already stated, this Institution has nothing to do with the European Union

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks.. Jan 13, 2005

for this information. Lucia is quite right, the ECHR is part of the COE and not the EU, my mistake...

Thanks again to all.

Best regards.
Jason

Jason Willis-Lee wrote:

is the institution I´m interested in. I´ll follow your advice and write to them directly. Many thanks...

Jason

Parrot wrote:

susan_shelton
Local time: 15:52
English to French
Useful Feb 7, 2005

I managed recently to get to the face-to-face stage of an EU competitions; waiting now for the final result.

The site www.eu-competitions.com was quite useful in my preparation.

Best regards,

Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU competitions: past papers

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums