how does an OFFICIAL translation look like?
Thread poster: Carol C.W. CHUNG
Carol C.W. CHUNG
Carol C.W. CHUNG
Local time: 09:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2005

Dear all,

First, apologies if this post is misplaced in the wrong forum.

I need my school certificate translated from English into French, it's required that the translation has to be done by an official translator.

How is a translated document done by an official translator look like? i mean how can the others tell if the document is translated by an official translator or not? e.g. will the official translation have a copy of the translator's certifi
... See more
Dear all,

First, apologies if this post is misplaced in the wrong forum.

I need my school certificate translated from English into French, it's required that the translation has to be done by an official translator.

How is a translated document done by an official translator look like? i mean how can the others tell if the document is translated by an official translator or not? e.g. will the official translation have a copy of the translator's certificate attached to prove, etc? Can a freelance translator act as such an official translator?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Carol
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Official Translators (I'm talking about the EU) Jan 27, 2005

are registered at the pertinent Ministries/Agencies of the receiving country. Have your certificate translated; it may look like any document (although official translators try to approximate original formats); the translation will have the lines of an oath at the end, the translator's seal, and his signature. All its pages are initialled.

Somewhere along the paper-chase path, you'll pass through an office that has the sample signatures and seals of all official translators for that
... See more
are registered at the pertinent Ministries/Agencies of the receiving country. Have your certificate translated; it may look like any document (although official translators try to approximate original formats); the translation will have the lines of an oath at the end, the translator's seal, and his signature. All its pages are initialled.

Somewhere along the paper-chase path, you'll pass through an office that has the sample signatures and seals of all official translators for that country.

In the EU, a freelance translator not registered at such an office cannot make an official (sworn) translation.

In some other countries (e.g., the UK does not have a parallel system), a notarial procedure may substitute this.

Consulates can validly do the job for diplomatic pouch documents and some do more types of documents, especially in combinations where official translators are hard to find (Thai, Khmer, etc.). Best consult on this: as a rule, if there are official translators where you live, the consulate will tell you, and if not, it may offer to do the translation directly.

Revision by official translators: if an acceptable translation already exists (e.g., bilingual forms from some countries using that language as official or previously-translated documents), the official translator may simply revise the translated form and place his signature and seal on it. If the target language is the only official language and the document is monolingual, it will not need an official translator.

[Edited at 2005-01-28 11:38]
Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends Jan 27, 2005

Hi Carol,

This depends largely on how French "official" translators do or have to do things like that. Maybe there are certain regulations by courts etc.
In Germany, translators have a certain stamp (with a certain sentence, that states the document was translated by a certified/official translator, on it)which they put on the documents to certify they translated it right and put everything written in the original in the translation.

So, perhaps it would be better
... See more
Hi Carol,

This depends largely on how French "official" translators do or have to do things like that. Maybe there are certain regulations by courts etc.
In Germany, translators have a certain stamp (with a certain sentence, that states the document was translated by a certified/official translator, on it)which they put on the documents to certify they translated it right and put everything written in the original in the translation.

So, perhaps it would be better to post your question in the French forum?

Michaela
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not likely Jan 27, 2005

Carol Chung wrote:

will the official translation have a copy of the translator's certificate attached to prove, etc? Can a freelance translator act as such an official translator?

The oath usually takes the form of an apostille or an addendum, but is generally NOT issued on a separate piece of paper that might be presented with another, unsworn document.

Note that that office where the signature will be checked will be very close, if not the self-same office, as the "authenticating/legalizing" office. The name tells you all, doesn't it?

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 22:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"official" or "certified" translation Jan 28, 2005

Carol Chung wrote:

How is a translated document done by an official translator look like?

Carol

Have a look at this site:

http://www.iti.org.uk/indexMain.html

4. I need an "official" or "certified" translation, can ITI help me?

For most purposes, this usually requires either using the services of a sworn translator (this would be a translator sworn before a court in a non-UK jurisdiction), or a Fellow (FITI) or Member (MITI) of ITI who may self-certify the translation. You can also have the translation notarised before a Notary Public or Notary Scrivener (usually listed in Yellow Pages). ITI publishes a set of guidelines and seals for self-certification by its members.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
French Consulate Feb 4, 2005

If you are in Hong Kong, and you are going to France, the French Consulate in Hong Kong will indicate an appropriate translator to you. Traducteur assermenté...

If the consulate says it doesn't know, you need to get on the Internet and find a Traducteur Assermenté in a .fr or .com.fr site who can do it for you.

However, I am pretty sure the consulate can indicate someone. If you do it over the Internet, they will have to mail it to you so you have your original with
... See more
If you are in Hong Kong, and you are going to France, the French Consulate in Hong Kong will indicate an appropriate translator to you. Traducteur assermenté...

If the consulate says it doesn't know, you need to get on the Internet and find a Traducteur Assermenté in a .fr or .com.fr site who can do it for you.

However, I am pretty sure the consulate can indicate someone. If you do it over the Internet, they will have to mail it to you so you have your original with the sworn translator's seal.

If you do not need the document until you get to France, you can look one up on the Minitel in the Post Office when you get there.

Good luck
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how does an OFFICIAL translation look like?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »