Hiring translators with a bachelor's degree in a subject matter field...
Thread poster: Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 9, 2005

as opposed to a general, linguitical field of study:

Could someone point me to some online articles or discussions about translation agencies or users increasingly requiring that translators have a bachelor's degree in say computer, law, medicine, business, finance, etc due to the complexity of the subject matters? Examples of online job ads will be good, too.

Thanks a lot.

Yongmei

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 9, 2005

A reply from an agency might give you more detail, but I seem to remember earlier this year that the EU were tendering for patent translation contracts, and it seems that one of the conditions was that the translators hold technical degrees in subjects relevant to the material they would be working with (and could provide proof).

Not very much help, but you may wish to have a glance at some of the EU sites.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
English to French
+ ...
This is one example... Jun 9, 2005

One example of a job where a diploma in medicine (for that matter) is required: http://www.proz.com/job/36995

It's not really uncommon, I see it quite often.

Marie-Claude

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Talking about EU sites Jun 9, 2005

You could also look at candidates' prequalifications for an in-house job in Luxembourg (European Courts). You can't sit a competition if you don't have a law degree (and if it's a PhD, better).

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, colleagues! Jun 9, 2005

I was able to find a few examples on my own, too.

Parrot wrote:

You could also look at candidates' prequalifications for an in-house job in Luxembourg (European Courts). You can't sit a competition if you don't have a law degree (and if it's a PhD, better).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiring translators with a bachelor's degree in a subject matter field...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »