HIPAA Certification for Translators/Interpreters
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2005

What do you know about this? I want to know everything you know.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Something... Jul 20, 2005

Your questions on this subject have piqued my interest though it is not my field. I bit of research on the Net has revealed this site:

http://www.ncihc.org/index.htm

for the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care.

In going through that it appears that this organization does not have any certification program. I also found information stating that only the sta
... See more
Your questions on this subject have piqued my interest though it is not my field. I bit of research on the Net has revealed this site:

http://www.ncihc.org/index.htm

for the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care.

In going through that it appears that this organization does not have any certification program. I also found information stating that only the state of Washington has any certification for health care interpreters, though several others are attempting to develop one.

I do not know the exact date on the above information.

You might try contacting the organization directly to see what further information they can provide to you.

Interestingly enough, there is a job posted right now where they want "HIPPA" (HIPAA) certification, and from all I can see, no such thing even exists.

That's all I know, and it took about 15-20 minutes to find out.
Collapse

yolanda Speece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting you should comment on asking the organization for informati on this certification Jul 20, 2005

I underwent an orientation concerning HIPAA and a patient's right to privacy. I am aware of the patient's rights and I am aware of what should happen should I violate those rights-a huge fine and jail time and a loss of everything. It isn't worth it.

I explained this to the organization requesting this certification.

The reply I received was that they were "afraid I was going to need it". They then went on to say they assume "the orientation shows you how to become
... See more
I underwent an orientation concerning HIPAA and a patient's right to privacy. I am aware of the patient's rights and I am aware of what should happen should I violate those rights-a huge fine and jail time and a loss of everything. It isn't worth it.

I explained this to the organization requesting this certification.

The reply I received was that they were "afraid I was going to need it". They then went on to say they assume "the orientation shows you how to become certified". I don't know but I would think that if you are asking for something, shouldn't you know what the person you are contracting with needs to do in order to obtain it in case it expires or it needs to be renewed?

I don't think the organization was quite aware of what they were asking for themselves and THAT is scary.
Collapse

yolanda Speece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found something Jul 20, 2005

I went to the office of Civil RIghts and found this:

Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA
What You Should Know About OCR HIPAA Privacy Rule Guidance Materials
Be aware of misleading marketing claims

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has made available on its website guidance materials on the Privacy Rule as a service to the public to help covered entities comply with the rule and to help consumers know how they are protected by the Privacy Rule. All items
... See more
I went to the office of Civil RIghts and found this:

Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA
What You Should Know About OCR HIPAA Privacy Rule Guidance Materials
Be aware of misleading marketing claims

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has made available on its website guidance materials on the Privacy Rule as a service to the public to help covered entities comply with the rule and to help consumers know how they are protected by the Privacy Rule. All items on our Educational Materials page (http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/assist.html) have either been produced directly by OCR or have been reviewed by OCR prior to their publication. OCR also provides links to other useful sites, but does not review or endorse the materials found on those sites.

We have received reports that some consultants and education providers have claimed that they or their materials or systems are endorsed or required by HHS or, specifically, by OCR. IN FACT, HHS AND OCR DO NOT ENDORESE ANY PRIVATE CONSULTANTS OR EDUCATION PROVIDERS' SEMINARS, MATERIALS OR SYSTEMS, AND DO NOT CERTIFY PERSONS OR PRODUCTS AS "HIPAA COMPLIANT". The Privacy Rule does not require attendance at any specific seminars. All of OCR's materials are available free on our web site.

If you believe anyone is making false or misleading representations about HHS or OCR in regard to HIPAA training and compliance, please notify us via email at [email protected] or by postal mail at Office for Civil Rights, 200 Independence Ave, S.W., Room 509F, Washington, D.C. 20201.

Last revised: August 4, 2003

I got this directly from the following website:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/misleadingmarketing.html

I am also awaiting a return call from Region VI in DALLAs to get additional information .

Gadzooks!!!!!!!!!!! Another scam to steal the translators' hard-earned money!

SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited at 2005-07-20 17:47]
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
The HIPAA certification is for real Jul 24, 2005

The HIPAA Certification exists but it is not a "translation" or "interpretation" certification. As far as I know, there is not such a thing as a HIPAA Certified Translator. However, there is a certification about your knowledge of the HIPAA law. (And I guess that would qualify you to translate HIPAA related texts and that might be the certification they ask for.)
In fact, there are two certifications related to HIPAA as it is a very complicated law. I know this for a fact because some of
... See more
The HIPAA Certification exists but it is not a "translation" or "interpretation" certification. As far as I know, there is not such a thing as a HIPAA Certified Translator. However, there is a certification about your knowledge of the HIPAA law. (And I guess that would qualify you to translate HIPAA related texts and that might be the certification they ask for.)
In fact, there are two certifications related to HIPAA as it is a very complicated law. I know this for a fact because some of my employees are certified in the HIPAA and COBRA acts. You may go to this page to find out more about HIPAA certification requisites: http://www.hrcertification.com/HIPAAprivacy/aboutHIPAAPRcert.asp
Collapse

Liana Gebremariam

yolanda Speece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are they a government regulated entity? Jul 24, 2005

The Office of Civil Rights is a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT-REGULATED AGENCY. According to this agency, there is no such thing as HIPAA COMPLIANT or HIPAA CERTIFICATION.

You can undergo training and orientation but it is not certified. You can go to the website and find all the information you need or drop them an e-mail and they will clarify any doubts.

Any organization that says it is "HIPAA COMPLIANT" or offers CERTIFICATION, is fraudulent. This certification is a marketi
... See more
The Office of Civil Rights is a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT-REGULATED AGENCY. According to this agency, there is no such thing as HIPAA COMPLIANT or HIPAA CERTIFICATION.

You can undergo training and orientation but it is not certified. You can go to the website and find all the information you need or drop them an e-mail and they will clarify any doubts.

Any organization that says it is "HIPAA COMPLIANT" or offers CERTIFICATION, is fraudulent. This certification is a marketing ploy!

To become familiar with HIPAA, all you have to do is go to the website and there is all the information you need.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
Thanks a lot! Jul 24, 2005

Thank you, Yolanda. I will look into that and will let the business principals know that we could be misrepresenting before our clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HIPAA Certification for Translators/Interpreters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »