Interpreting courses in UK and Europe
Thread poster: bewley
bewley
bewley  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2005

Does anyone know of any interpreting courses in the UK or Europe? I have a post graduate degree in translating and speak French fluently, but I'd like some additional training before launching myself as an interpreter. Does anyone know of any courses? The only ones I can find are combined translating and interpreting courses and I've already completed the translating component. Does anyone also have any general advice about getting into interpreting? Thanks in advance. Sarah

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 18:40
German to English
+ ...
DPSI Sep 26, 2005

How about going for the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting?

Here's more info about it:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_dpsi.asp

And they do
... See more
How about going for the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting?

Here's more info about it:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_dpsi.asp

And they do have preparation courses:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/IoL-DPSI-Courses-Sept-2005.pdf
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Courses by Languages Services, IOL Sep 26, 2005

Hi Sarah,

Language Services, part of the Chartered Institute of Linguists, organise courses. Details can be found on
http://www.iol.org.uk/lsl/met.asp - they currently advertise courses in business, conference, medical and court interpreting.

I am booked on the court interpreting course in London next Monday.

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Language Services Court Interpreting Course Nov 12, 2005

Dear Anna Lee,

I have I have read you comment on the forum about your attendance to the above course last September. As I am contemplating attending the same course in the new year, I'd be very interested in your feedback.

Thanks

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interpreting course Nov 12, 2005

I'm pleased to say that I can highly recommend this course.
It is given to a small group of people (8) in a professional business environment. The lecturer was highly competent, both as an interpreter and as a teacher. She told us about different types of courts, different types of hearings, the court procedure, oath of affirmation, where to sit or stand, etc. We received an interpreter's diary and a huge file with the presentation, an extensive glossary, useful addresses and references.
... See more
I'm pleased to say that I can highly recommend this course.
It is given to a small group of people (8) in a professional business environment. The lecturer was highly competent, both as an interpreter and as a teacher. She told us about different types of courts, different types of hearings, the court procedure, oath of affirmation, where to sit or stand, etc. We received an interpreter's diary and a huge file with the presentation, an extensive glossary, useful addresses and references. In the afternoon, a magistrate gave us a talk with even more information about courts and hearings. Overall, an extremely useful course that will make me feel much better equipped to deal with difficult situations in the future.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting courses in UK and Europe

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »