https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/38873-any_in_house_university_translator.html

Any in-house university translator?
Thread poster: Hellen Varela-Fdez.
Hellen Varela-Fdez.
Hellen Varela-Fdez.  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 08:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2005

I didn’t know exactly where to post my question, but I guess it could be here. This is just a simple question: Does anyone know if there is any university with a translation department? I mean… not a school or a teaching department, but a department where someone translates texts for the university: an in-house translator. I have worked as a translator, for 5 years, at a public university in Costa Rica, and I have never found a colleague doing the same. Thanks!

Hellen Varela

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not per se as tenured, AFAIK Nov 10, 2005

but a lot of universities conduct programs that accommodate translators into a research team. Then, sometime ago this forum published an invitation for an Indian resident translator to come to East Anglia University for a year. I imagine multilingual universities simply take on multilingual staff, but it's an interesting question. Let's see if someone answers.

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
French to English
+ ...
University of Massachusets Nov 11, 2005

The University of Massachusets Amherst has a Translation Center where they do hire translators and project managers, however I don't know if they hire in-house. You can contact them and find out. Here's a link to their Translation Center Employment page: http://www.umass.edu/transcen/employment.html

Good Luck!

sindee21

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Mexico Nov 11, 2005

I know that the Tec de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México has a department of translation, where they have people who do exactly that: translate.

I found their web page:
http://www.ccm.itesm.mx/dhcs/lenguas/tradutec.html

has their mission, what they do, contact information.

From reading the web page it seems to be a service they are offe
... See more
I know that the Tec de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México has a department of translation, where they have people who do exactly that: translate.

I found their web page:
http://www.ccm.itesm.mx/dhcs/lenguas/tradutec.html

has their mission, what they do, contact information.

From reading the web page it seems to be a service they are offering, but from what I knew of them, I think they really are an in-house departement who is probably also looking for a way to bring in profits for the university...

hope this helps!!

Heidi

[Edited at 2005-11-11 14:16]
Collapse

Alana C
Alana C
Local time: 11:35
French to English
Maybe not practical in most settings? Nov 11, 2005

You are so lucky! I work for a bilingual university in Canada and we do not have any in-house translators. In fact, I have never heard of any university hiring in-house translation staff in Canada although many universities provide their information in both official languages, English and French.

I think that the reason in-house translators are rare in universities is that they have no money to hire translators (isn’t that always the way?). It’s much cheaper to require staf
... See more
You are so lucky! I work for a bilingual university in Canada and we do not have any in-house translators. In fact, I have never heard of any university hiring in-house translation staff in Canada although many universities provide their information in both official languages, English and French.

I think that the reason in-house translators are rare in universities is that they have no money to hire translators (isn’t that always the way?). It’s much cheaper to require staff to be bilingual and they will produce texts in both languages without additional staffing costs.

It is interesting that there are so many people translating texts where I work. These people are often from different backgrounds--from France, Quebec, and from other French-speaking countries--so variation is common. There is also a translation program at the university so there are some graduates who end up working here...like me
Collapse

Hellen Varela-Fdez.
Hellen Varela-Fdez.  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 08:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... this is very interesting! Nov 11, 2005

Thank you for your answers. Five minutes ago I tried to send an email to the Director of UMass Translation Center, but for some reason the address is not working… anyway… I’ll try later. I will write to Tradutec as well.

However, as I see, Tradutec and UMass Translation Center sell services from the university to any other enterprise or government organization. At Universidad Nacional, we had a similar system some years ago (I am not sure if it is still working, I should
... See more
Thank you for your answers. Five minutes ago I tried to send an email to the Director of UMass Translation Center, but for some reason the address is not working… anyway… I’ll try later. I will write to Tradutec as well.

However, as I see, Tradutec and UMass Translation Center sell services from the university to any other enterprise or government organization. At Universidad Nacional, we had a similar system some years ago (I am not sure if it is still working, I should find out). The School of Literature and Language Sciences had what they called Centro Universitario de Traducción, CUTRA (University Translation Center). The same professors from the Translation Program offered their services. The deal was like half of the translation fees for the translator/professor and half for the Translation Program. Of course, this was a very good idea for the Translation Program. The University wins and so does the translator/professor.

The service I offered is more like the one mentioned by Alana. Indeed, I was lucky. I must clarify that, our university does not have a “translator position” actually, but the categories are "flexible" (if we can say so). Since I have a licentiate degree, I was hired in the category called "Licentiate Professor", and they pay me as that... but the functions assigned are translation functions because my degree is in translation. I know it sounds a little complicated... I just wanted to give you an idea.

Alana: as I understand you work as a freelance for this Canadian university?

Hellen
Collapse

Alana C
Alana C
Local time: 11:35
French to English
Just a lowly administrative assistant! Nov 11, 2005

Hi Hellen

Sorry I wasn’t clearer. I don’t work for the university as a freelancer—I am an Administrative Assistant for the Sociology department. Part of my job involves translating short texts, like advertisements, announcements etc. Most people who work here do some translation as part of their job because it is a bilingual campus so all information must be written in both languages.

I am a recent graduate of the translation program so I am just getting star
... See more
Hi Hellen

Sorry I wasn’t clearer. I don’t work for the university as a freelancer—I am an Administrative Assistant for the Sociology department. Part of my job involves translating short texts, like advertisements, announcements etc. Most people who work here do some translation as part of their job because it is a bilingual campus so all information must be written in both languages.

I am a recent graduate of the translation program so I am just getting started in the scary world of translation

However, one thing leads to another and through my connections here I have been able to get some freelance work!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any in-house university translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »