Does ESIT teach different variants of its languages?
Thread poster: Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:22
French to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2006

I'm planning on taking the entrance exam for ESIT (Ecole Superieure d'Interpretes et de Traducteurs) in April, and I was wondering if anybody know if their curriculum included the different variants of its working languages (like Canadian French, Latin American Spanish, or Cantonese) or if they just focused on one version of the language (French from France, Spanish from Spain, Mandarin Chinese, etc.).

Thank you for information you might be able to give me about this subject.
... See more
I'm planning on taking the entrance exam for ESIT (Ecole Superieure d'Interpretes et de Traducteurs) in April, and I was wondering if anybody know if their curriculum included the different variants of its working languages (like Canadian French, Latin American Spanish, or Cantonese) or if they just focused on one version of the language (French from France, Spanish from Spain, Mandarin Chinese, etc.).

Thank you for information you might be able to give me about this subject.

sindee21
Collapse

Audrey Chopard-Lallier
Audrey Chopard-Lallier
Local time: 02:22
English to French
+ ...
No different variants Jan 10, 2006

As far as I know The ESIT school does not have the means to teach variants of its languages. You may have courses within which the teachers will make the difference between American and British English, but I am afraid, that's all you will obtain.

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 02:22
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Audrey Jan 16, 2006

Audrey CL wrote:

As far as I know The ESIT school does not have the means to teach variants of its languages. You may have courses within which the teachers will make the difference between American and British English, but I am afraid, that's all you will obtain.

ESIT even doesn't have courses of Dutch any more (variant of lower German, yet a language on its own and spoken by 20 millions of people in two nearby countries). Besides, ESIT doens't "teach" languages: candidates have to be fully bilingual at the entrance examination + know a third, passive language. ESIT only teaches translation and interpreting techniques. If you want to learn a language, you should take courses elsewhere.

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ESIT, language variants... Jan 16, 2006

Nicolette Richy wrote:

Audrey CL wrote:

ESIT even doesn't have courses of Dutch any more (variant of lower German, yet a language on its own and spoken by 20 millions of people in two nearby countries). Besides, ESIT doens't "teach" languages: candidates have to be fully bilingual at the entrance examination + know a third, passive language. ESIT only teaches translation and interpreting techniques. If you want to learn a language, you should take courses elsewhere.

Thanks Nicolette, I realize that ESIT does not teach languages. Let me clarify my question. I am an American and the variant of English I speak is American English. Also, My second and third languages are French and Spanish respectively. I was taught the European variant of French, thus I am not familiar with a lot of the vocabulary that is particular to Canadian French speakers, and my style of speaking and writing French is from the European variant. Also, being in the U.S., our courses were focused mainly on the Latin-American variant of Spanish(if such a thing exists)with a lot of emphasis on Mexican Spanish and not European Spanish from Spain.

Now, being that ESIT is in Europe, I would imagine that the great majority of their staff would be European, and therefore, I was thinking, if the person correcting or reviewing my translation was British, would he accept my rendering the French or Spanish text into American English, or would I be taught to translate into a British style using British vocabulary and/or style. Also, I was wondering if I would be presented with texts written in Canadian French or Mexican Spanish, or would all the texts be in the European variants of the languages.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, and I hope I have clarified things a bit.

sindee21

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
My experience as a former ESIT student Jan 19, 2006

Sindee21,

First of all, relax. You won't flunk the selection exam because you use a variant of Spanish, English or French ;o)
Now, seriously, as far as I remember, the teacher for Fr to Es translation was from Argentina, the teacher for Es to Fr brought mexican texts to class. I also remember sharing a class with students from South Africa, the US, Spain, Colombia. They all got their degree.
I think what matters is to stay consistent in the variant you use.
Hope th
... See more
Sindee21,

First of all, relax. You won't flunk the selection exam because you use a variant of Spanish, English or French ;o)
Now, seriously, as far as I remember, the teacher for Fr to Es translation was from Argentina, the teacher for Es to Fr brought mexican texts to class. I also remember sharing a class with students from South Africa, the US, Spain, Colombia. They all got their degree.
I think what matters is to stay consistent in the variant you use.
Hope this helps,
Nico95

sindee21 wrote:

Nicolette Richy wrote:

Audrey CL wrote:

Thanks Nicolette, I realize that ESIT does not teach languages. Let me clarify my question. I am an American and the variant of English I speak is American English. Also, My second and third languages are French and Spanish respectively. I was taught the European variant of French, thus I am not familiar with a lot of the vocabulary that is particular to Canadian French speakers, and my style of speaking and writing French is from the European variant. Also, being in the U.S., our courses were focused mainly on the Latin-American variant of Spanish(if such a thing exists)with a lot of emphasis on Mexican Spanish and not European Spanish from Spain.

Now, being that ESIT is in Europe, I would imagine that the great majority of their staff would be European, and therefore, I was thinking, if the person correcting or reviewing my translation was British, would he accept my rendering the French or Spanish text into American English, or would I be taught to translate into a British style using British vocabulary and/or style. Also, I was wondering if I would be presented with texts written in Canadian French or Mexican Spanish, or would all the texts be in the European variants of the languages.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, and I hope I have clarified things a bit.

sindee21

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does ESIT teach different variants of its languages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »