Mobile menu

To obtain credentials from USPTO possible?
Thread poster: Pablo Mayen

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2006

I'm not sure if this is the right forum...

I've been working in patents for three years now (English to Spanish) for a patents firm. I would like to know whether it is possible to become certified by the United States Patents and Trademarks Office (USPTO) as a patents translator.

Any hints or support in this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
Highly unlikely... Feb 8, 2006

Hi Pablo,

I had written a long message and I just lost it

The message said that I worked for the Mexican Patents and Trademarks office (now the IMPI) a long time ago, and had a more or less close relationship with the USPTO.

To my knowledge, they do not have any "credentialling" system for translators, for the simple reason they only work with one language: English.

Any foreign patent application submitted for registration to the USPTO must be translated to English, and the translation signed by the translator. That's it. I checked their website, and this requirement does not seem to have changed.

They do rely on a "Translation Branch" which depends from the Science and Technology Information Center (STIC), and to which patent examiners can request assistance whenever reference materials included in patent applications are in a foreign language. That office does not provide any service to outside clients.

How do they hire the translators who work at the STIC, I do not know, but I imagine they check for credentials like a science degree plus a certificate/certification in translation from a school/association in the field.

Maybe you already knew all these, so I just want to confirm that, knowing the USPTO, I believe highly unlikely that it would issue credentials to any translator.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To obtain credentials from USPTO possible?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs