To obtain credentials from USPTO possible?
Thread poster: Pablo Mayen

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum...

I've been working in patents for three years now (English to Spanish) for a patents firm. I would like to know whether it is possible to become certified by the United States Patents and Trademarks Office (USPTO) as a patents translator.

Any hints or support in this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
Highly unlikely... Feb 8, 2006

Hi Pablo,

I had written a long message and I just lost it

The message said that I worked for the Mexican Patents and Trademarks office (now the IMPI) a long time ago, and had a more or less close relationship with the USPTO.

To my knowledge, they do not have any "credentialling" system for translators, for the simple reason they only work with one language: English.

Any foreign patent application submitted for registration to the USPTO must be translated to English, and the translation signed by the translator. That's it. I checked their website, and this requirement does not seem to have changed.

They do rely on a "Translation Branch" which depends from the Science and Technology Information Center (STIC), and to which patent examiners can request assistance whenever reference materials included in patent applications are in a foreign language. That office does not provide any service to outside clients.

How do they hire the translators who work at the STIC, I do not know, but I imagine they check for credentials like a science degree plus a certificate/certification in translation from a school/association in the field.

Maybe you already knew all these, so I just want to confirm that, knowing the USPTO, I believe highly unlikely that it would issue credentials to any translator.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To obtain credentials from USPTO possible?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs