https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/46961-help%3A_choice_of_course_for_iol_exam.html

Help: choice of course for IoL exam
Thread poster: ferrer23
ferrer23
ferrer23  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 9, 2006

Dear all,

I am trying to choose a distance course to prepare for the IoL Dip in Trans (English into Spanish).
So far I have found 2 suitable ones:
The International House course is quite expensive and long, and seems to be well known.
The "Susanne James Associates" distance learning course is a lot cheaper, less intense and more flexible.
Could anyone advise me on that? Is the IH course worth the money? Has anyone ever heard of the "Susanne James Associates
... See more
Dear all,

I am trying to choose a distance course to prepare for the IoL Dip in Trans (English into Spanish).
The International House course is quite expensive and long, and seems to be well known.
The "Susanne James Associates" distance learning course is a lot cheaper, less intense and more flexible.
Could anyone advise me on that? Is the IH course worth the money? Has anyone ever heard of the "Susanne James Associates" course? Is the IoL exam really so hard that it requires a year to prepare for?
Thank you!
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
City University May 9, 2006

I attended a long distance course (English into Italian) at City University: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.html

Basically I had to translate a text each week and the tutor would then provide feedback on the translation. Being long distance, it did not interfere with my other activities.

Is there any reason why you ruled the City University course out?

... See more
I attended a long distance course (English into Italian) at City University: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.html

Basically I had to translate a text each week and the tutor would then provide feedback on the translation. Being long distance, it did not interfere with my other activities.

Laura
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
IH where? May 9, 2006

ferrer23 wrote:

Dear all,

Could anyone advise me on that? Is the IH course worth the money? Has anyone ever heard of the "Susanne James Associates" course? Is the IoL exam really so hard that it requires a year to prepare for?
Thank you!

IH London? Presence or distance? Or IH elsewhere?

IH in Barcelona does a distance course - still, as far as I know. I did it a few yerars ago and it was reasonably priced. What's relatively expensive is the actul exam:-)

Heard of City plenty, never heard of Susannne James Associates

ferrer23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IH Barcelona May 9, 2006

I meant the distance course organised by IH Barcelona.
Their whole course costs 1260 Euros. It has 4 parts at around 350E each, but if I understood correctly the course is designed to be followed fully, without skipping any part.

Suzie Withers
Suzie Withers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Susanne James May 9, 2006

I did the Susanne James course last year.

Basically, you are paying for a tutor to provide feedback on 6 translations, all of them DipTrans past papers. You do them in your own time, email them to the tutor and they email it back with feedback.

You do not get any general tuition on the theory of translating, although they provide a handbook with guidelines and reading list. I probably didn't use my tutor as much as I could have (I think I was entitled to some telephone
... See more
I did the Susanne James course last year.

Basically, you are paying for a tutor to provide feedback on 6 translations, all of them DipTrans past papers. You do them in your own time, email them to the tutor and they email it back with feedback.

You do not get any general tuition on the theory of translating, although they provide a handbook with guidelines and reading list. I probably didn't use my tutor as much as I could have (I think I was entitled to some telephone tutorials, which I didn't use).

Hope this helps you decide what's right for you!
Collapse

Catherine Reay
Catherine Reay  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
is the price correct?? May 9, 2006

Hello,

I did the IH Barcelona 2005 distance course for the IoL exam in January this year. I was very surprised to see the price you have quoted as I certainly did not pay that much. I cannot remember the exact price but it was approx. 400 euros.

The exam was 420 pounds sterling, that I do remember - talking of which, results are still not in. Anybody from IH Barcelona received theirs yet?

I can recommend the distance course, feedback was sent quickly and
... See more
Hello,

I did the IH Barcelona 2005 distance course for the IoL exam in January this year. I was very surprised to see the price you have quoted as I certainly did not pay that much. I cannot remember the exact price but it was approx. 400 euros.

The exam was 420 pounds sterling, that I do remember - talking of which, results are still not in. Anybody from IH Barcelona received theirs yet?

I can recommend the distance course, feedback was sent quickly and was useful. Deadlines were also flexible within reason - always helpful!

Good luck with your course.
Regards,
Katy
Collapse

ferrer23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IH Barcelona prices May 10, 2006

Katy,

Was the course you took at IH for one term or for one year?
They do quote their prices to be 350 Euros per term, or the whole 4 term course for 1.260 Euros.
Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers,
Eva

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
WLS May 10, 2006

There is still the WLS based in Ireland.

http://wls.ie/tranbroc.htm

lalabelle
lalabelle  Identity Verified
France
English to French
City University, check the tutor... May 10, 2006

Hi,
I had a very disappointing experience with City University of London. My tutor (English into French ) was very rude and unhelpful... Most of the other students with me agreed on this at the time. Now, it was three years ago, but my advice would be, if you choose City univeristy, to get some feedback from other students on the tutor for your language pair.

Regards
Annabelle

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't recommend them May 11, 2006

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

There is still the WLS based in Ireland.

http://wls.ie/tranbroc.htm

I prepared PT-EN using this company and had a very unsatisfactory experience with them...

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.. May 11, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
I prepared PT-EN using this company and had a very unsatisfactory experience with them...

Would you mind to let us know what happened?

Sonja

steve d
steve d
French to English
+ ...
20 credit or 10 credit modules at City? Aug 29, 2006

Laura Gentili wrote:

Laura

Dear Laura,

I'm about to apply for the City University course: either French or Spanish (I'm going to decide which one very soon!) into English.

You said that you did one text per week: did you do 10 credit or 20 credit modules? I'm trying to work out whether it is worthwhile taking the 20-credit modules, despite the fact that i work full-time, as perhaps 10-credit modules won't provide sufficient material to prepare me for the exam..?

Do you recommend the City distance learning course in general?

Thanks a lot.. Steve.

steve d
steve d
French to English
+ ...
tutors at City Uni Aug 29, 2006

annabelle boussault wrote:

Hi,
I had a very disappointing experience with City University of London. My tutor (English into French ) was very rude and unhelpful... Most of the other students with me agreed on this at the time. Now, it was three years ago, but my advice would be, if you choose City univeristy, to get some feedback from other students on the tutor for your language pair.

Regards
Annabelle

Hi Annabelle,

I'm considering doing French/Spanish into English at City Uni. Do you know if any of the "rude and unhelpful" tutors at City teach in the reverse of your language combination, i.e. French into English? Do you know any ex-students who you could put me in contact with who might be able to advise me?

Thanks..Steve

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
experience with WLS Sep 27, 2006

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Lia Fail wrote:

Would you mind to let us know what happened?

Sonja

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the details.

I had a very unpleasant tutor...now that's a bit difficult when you are just interacting by email...but she was unpleasant and rude in writing, which is about as unpleasant as one can get.

I could compare her very unfavourably with the IH Barcelona tutor for the IOL Dip course I did, who was excellent.

I was once a teacher, and I would never have behaved like her to a student, in person or in writing.

Worse, I complained to the course director and got no support...so I decided not to return to do a FR-EN course with them.

Catherine Salbashian
Catherine Salbashian  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
City University Oct 1, 2006

Hi Eva,
I began the distance course (Italian into English) with City a couple of years ago and would recommend it - in the end I dropped out due to lack of time, but was quite happy with the course, and the tutor - she was always very pleasant in our email exchanges. And it was reasonably priced!
HTH!
Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: choice of course for IoL exam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »