Mobile menu

Advice for securing an apprenticeship
Thread poster: JPiggot
JPiggot
French to English
Jun 2, 2006

Hello,
I am coming to the end of a Masters in Translation Studies (French into English), and am hoping to secure an apprenticeship/trainee-translator position within an in-house translation team in London from August onwards. I have been unsuccessful so far – can anyone reading this offer any advice for success in gaining an apprenticeship?
Thank you.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxPRen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:17
French to English
+ ...
Yes.. Jun 3, 2006

Put some information in your profile

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Actually Jun 3, 2006

You should have done it before posting this, since it calls attention to your profile. I daresay it would be the first thing an interested party would look at (by clicking on your name).

[Edited at 2006-06-03 11:39]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JPiggot
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jun 3, 2006

JPiggot wrote:

Hello,
I am coming to the end of a Masters in Translation Studies (French into English), and am hoping to secure an apprenticeship/trainee-translator position within an in-house translation team in London from August onwards. I have been unsuccessful so far – can anyone reading this offer any advice for success in gaining an apprenticeship?
Thank you.




You're right, I probably should have filled out my profile anyway, but I'm not really expecting an apprenticeship to come to me through Proz.com. I meant my question more generally, e.g : does anyone know if certain companies run apprenticeship schemes? Is it unrealistic to look for an apprenticeship in translation nowadays? Are there some things that I should be emphasising more than others in the speculative letters that I send out?...
Thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh, OK... Jun 5, 2006

JPiggot wrote:

JPiggot wrote:

Hello,
I am coming to the end of a Masters in Translation Studies (French into English), and am hoping to secure an apprenticeship/trainee-translator position within an in-house translation team in London from August onwards. I have been unsuccessful so far – can anyone reading this offer any advice for success in gaining an apprenticeship?
Thank you.


You're right, I probably should have filled out my profile anyway, but I'm not really expecting an apprenticeship to come to me through Proz.com. I meant my question more generally, e.g : does anyone know if certain companies run apprenticeship schemes? Is it unrealistic to look for an apprenticeship in translation nowadays? Are there some things that I should be emphasising more than others in the speculative letters that I send out?...
Thanks.


I wasn't quite sure about what mode of apprenticeship you were talking about. There are courses in which the apprenticeship is a practicum that the university arranges, and other schemes whereby some agencies -- usually run or manned by graduates of a university -- get themselves listed as being ready, willing and able to take on trainees and new graduates from their alma mater (and perform assessments where necessary). There are also people seeking apprenticeships under the EU Leonardo programme or other arrangements sponsored by local governments. So in answer to your first two questions, certainly some companies take on apprentices, and the prospect is not unrealistic.

Of interest in your application letter would be: undergraduate major subjects and any specific research already conducted. Also, any long-running hobbies or interests that you might entertain (with a view to any specialised knowledge acquired).

It might also help if you can already define at this stage what aspect of translation you would like to work at the most (translating, project management, journalism, finance, etc..)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lucian Ursu
Romania
Local time: 22:17
English to Romanian
Need help also Jun 17, 2006

I have the same question. I am graduating Romanian-English and I want to get a job through proz or otherwise in translations. My downside is that I have no working experience. The only experience I have is in translating 2 engineering graduation papers. Do you have any suggestions that could be of help?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jane User
Local time: 21:17
For what it's worth Jun 17, 2006

lucas21 wrote:

I have the same question. I am graduating Romanian-English and I want to get a job through proz or otherwise in translations. My downside is that I have no working experience. The only experience I have is in translating 2 engineering graduation papers. Do you have any suggestions that could be of help?


Put up some information on qualifications on your profile page. You may specify if you want an in-house job as well. If you feel secure enough about your translated work (which is an advantage on your part), you may consider selecting a 250-excerpt to publish as a sample on your profile, under the "Portfolio" tab.

One thing you may want to check out (under the "My Proz.com" menu) is your dashboard for job notification settings.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excuse me Jun 17, 2006

jane_user wrote:

Put up some information on qualifications on your profile page. You may specify if you want an in-house job as well. If you feel secure enough about your translated work (which is an advantage on your part), you may consider selecting a 250-excerpt to publish as a sample on your profile, under the "Portfolio" tab.

One thing you may want to check out (under the "My Proz.com" menu) is your dashboard for job notification settings.


jane_user was this forum moderator who forgot to take off her testing cap


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for securing an apprenticeship

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs