https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/49728-diptrans_or_naati_exam_for_emigration_purposes.html

DipTrans or NAATI Exam for emigration purposes
Thread poster: cazzamia
cazzamia
cazzamia
German to English
Jun 19, 2006

Dear All

I am in dire need of some advice and hope that I am in the right place.

In January this year, I commenced the City University distance learning course working towards the DipTrans exam, German into English.

At the moment I do not intend on working as a translator full time. My main reason for attempting to gain this qualification is that we are hoping to emigrate to Australia. As many of you will probably know, a DipTrans qualification is recogni
... See more
Dear All

I am in dire need of some advice and hope that I am in the right place.

In January this year, I commenced the City University distance learning course working towards the DipTrans exam, German into English.

At the moment I do not intend on working as a translator full time. My main reason for attempting to gain this qualification is that we are hoping to emigrate to Australia. As many of you will probably know, a DipTrans qualification is recognised by the Australian equivalent institution, NAATI, so if I pass the DipTrans I will be able to apply for a skilled worker visa using translator as my nominated occupation.

My question is: NAATI also provide an exam which I could sit instead of the DipTrans exam. Does anybody know which exam is the tougher to crack? I read somewhere that generally, the NAATI is slightly easier, but I want to know this for sure before I decide which exam to take.

Not only does the DipTrans cost a fortune to sit, but I am so worried that if I fail, then I will have to wait a whole year to sit it again. The appeal with the NAATI is that if you fail, it can be sat again at your leisure.

I lived and worked in Germany for 10 years and am a fluent speaker of German.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

With kind regards
Carol
Collapse

echoshen
echoshen
Local time: 21:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
DipTrans or NAATI Exam for emigration purposes Jun 19, 2006

Hi Carol
I am a translator from Australia with NAATI accreditation. I would suggest that you sit for the NAATI exam. They have routinely scheduled exam once a year, but you can always ask for on-demand test.
You may also want to check the requirement for migrating as a translator. As far as I know, you would have to work as a full-time translator for some time before you are qulifi
... See more
Hi Carol
I am a translator from Australia with NAATI accreditation. I would suggest that you sit for the NAATI exam. They have routinely scheduled exam once a year, but you can always ask for on-demand test.
You may also want to check the requirement for migrating as a translator. As far as I know, you would have to work as a full-time translator for some time before you are qulified.
You may want to check out http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/offshore_visa/valid_136.htm.
Good luck
Collapse

Ruken Kaya (X)
Ruken Kaya (X)
France
Local time: 03:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
NAATI Exam Jun 20, 2006

Hi, I also sat for the NAATI exam for immigration purposes when I was still in Australia, but although I passed the exam, I could not get the Permanent Residency as the Australian immigration office asks for a proof that you have worked as a full time translator for the last 18 months before the application (it was 3 years ago, so I might be wrong with the period actually, it could also be 12 months). Another reason for my refusal might be that I had done my application from Turkey, whereas some... See more
Hi, I also sat for the NAATI exam for immigration purposes when I was still in Australia, but although I passed the exam, I could not get the Permanent Residency as the Australian immigration office asks for a proof that you have worked as a full time translator for the last 18 months before the application (it was 3 years ago, so I might be wrong with the period actually, it could also be 12 months). Another reason for my refusal might be that I had done my application from Turkey, whereas some of my friends who applied in Australia got the Permanent Residency quite fast.

It is an easy exam, consisting of different paragraphs in several topics; i.e medical, business, social isues. No need to worry about it if you believe you have enough experience with your language pair.

I've never heard the DipTrans exam, but I hope this info will be helpful somehow. Good luck and all the best with the exams and immigration..

Ruken
Collapse

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:16
German to English
emigration Jun 21, 2006

Hi Carol,

I'd also looked into emigrating to Australia and like Ruken I am certain that the immigration authorities stipulate that you must have been working full-time in the pofession you are qualified in for at least 18 months post-qualification (acutally, I thought it was 3 years but Ruken is probably right). So I'm not sure that this is the best way of going about it anyway.
As a newly qualified freelance translator it would take quite a long time to accumulate what amount
... See more
Hi Carol,

I'd also looked into emigrating to Australia and like Ruken I am certain that the immigration authorities stipulate that you must have been working full-time in the pofession you are qualified in for at least 18 months post-qualification (acutally, I thought it was 3 years but Ruken is probably right). So I'm not sure that this is the best way of going about it anyway.
As a newly qualified freelance translator it would take quite a long time to accumulate what amounts to 18 months of full-time work, bearing in mind that it takes most people a couple of years to reach that level of productivity.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

[Edited at 2006-06-21 08:43]
Collapse

cazzamia
cazzamia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Work experience does not have to be in your nominated occupation Jun 21, 2006

Dear Echoshen, Ruken and Eva

Many thanks for your replies and advice. It is great to hear from people that have direct experience with this process.

You are all right in saying that one must have x amount of work experience following qualification, but with a 60 point occupation (Translator) this work experience can be from any profession currently listed on the Skilled
... See more
Dear Echoshen, Ruken and Eva

Many thanks for your replies and advice. It is great to hear from people that have direct experience with this process.

You are all right in saying that one must have x amount of work experience following qualification, but with a 60 point occupation (Translator) this work experience can be from any profession currently listed on the Skilled Occupations List.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/rqmnts_doc/br_recentwork_4.htm

"Period of work experience required

You must meet one of the following if you are applying for a Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) (subclass 495) visa – except if you are applying for a Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) (subclass 495) visa in Australia and that visa can be granted while you are in Australia:

* If you nominate a 60 point occupation in your visa application, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in any occupation on the Skilled Occupation List for at least 12 out of the 18 months immediately before applying"

My plan is to apply using Translator as my nominated occupation, together with the work experience from my current profession, Office Manager. I am aware that there are pitfalls to be had when detailing work experience in a different occupation to the one you have nominated, but according to the rules, it is permissable.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

If this fails, I shall look at Plan B!

I still need to find out which exam is easier, NAATI or DipTrans. Any suggestions on that front?

Regards
Carol

[Edited at 2006-06-21 13:36]
Collapse

J Fox
J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:16
German to English
+ ...
Format of the NAATI exam Feb 18, 2013

Just wanted to set the record straight that the NAATI exam isn't "easy". You need to translate two out of three passages, and answer two out of three ethics questions. The passages to translate are around 250-260 words each. The pass rate is very low - only around 20% of those who sit the exam actually pass it.

[Edited at 2013-02-18 06:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans or NAATI Exam for emigration purposes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »