Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Doctoral Studies
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

I have seen a few of the Prozians they have PhD's in Spanish. Where have you all studied and what kind of programs do you all recommend?

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:45
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 12, 2006

since it was originally posted to the forum devoted to technical aspects of ProZ.com forums.

I guess Professional Development forum is the right place for this post.

Magda

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Magda Jul 12, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

since it was originally posted to the forum devoted to technical aspects of ProZ.com forums.

I guess Professional Development forum is the right place for this post.

Magda

What would we do without our moderators to show us the way?!

John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 05:45
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
I don´t have a PhD ... Jul 12, 2006

yolanda Speece wrote:

I have seen a few of the Prozians they have PhD's in Spanish. Where have you all studied and what kind of programs do you all recommend?

But maybe I can help you. Are you looking for something in particular?

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wanted to pursue my PhD in Spanish Jul 12, 2006

Any help you can give me would be wonderful. I don't know where to begin.

I know I want to eventually teach at the College level and to do that you need your Ph D nowadays.

I shoud be getting my MAIS in Spanish, Criminology and Sociology in Dec 2007 and I want to continue from there.
I wanted to pursue something in this field here in the states preferably either in Texas or North Carolina.

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
You could try the following: Jul 12, 2006

Visit a few Spanish universities. They are very cheap and your doctorate will be respected in the States. While doing your doctorate in Spain, you can pay your way through school by teaching English.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be nice but Jul 12, 2006

I have a husband who works for the National Weather Service and I can't exactly leave him behind.

As I stated, I need to study here in the States...

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
You can both look for a job here ... Jul 12, 2006

yolanda Speece wrote:

I have a husband who works for the National Weather Service and I can't exactly leave him behind.

As I stated, I need to study here in the States...

If he works for the National Weather Service he might find a good job here. And Spanish is easy to learn.

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
You really should think about it. Jul 12, 2006

The difference in fees is incredible. I could never study in the States at the rates they are charging.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As tempting as it sounds, I have to consider the room, board and flying arrangements Jul 13, 2006

That has to cost quite a bit, doesn't it? Plus there are also a lot of places students worship because of the affordable school supplies, groceries, etc. such as Target. Do they have Target, K-Mart or something similar in Spain?

Then I have to get a working visa and a student visa and I don't know what other kind of visa.

The thought is tempting. Do you recommend any colleges over there?

Wait a minute...Are you a recruiter for a particular university?LOL

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Ha,ha,ha ... Jul 13, 2006

yolanda Speece wrote:

That has to cost quite a bit, doesn't it? Plus there are also a lot of places students worship because of the affordable school supplies, groceries, etc. such as Target. Do they have Target, K-Mart or something similar in Spain?

Then I have to get a working visa and a student visa and I don't know what other kind of visa.

The thought is tempting. Do you recommend any colleges over there?

Wait a minute...Are you a recruiter for a particular university?LOL

No, I am not a recruiter. But they wouldn´t have to pay me to be one either. There are many excellent universities. Granada ( my alma mater), la Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Salamanca, Oviedo ... I like Granada because it is a truly beautiful city. There are excellent faculties and it´s a place where you can find many different types of people living. There are of course many other places. But the most important thing you should look at is the following: a thousand dollar tuition for a whole year compared to a 10,000 $ for just a semester. There is a big difference. It´s also about the contacts you can make and people you meet. Your husband´s scientific background will help him land a good job as well as your American nationality but you will both have to come over here and look. Madrid might be your solution and you know what they say about Madrid: De Madrid al cielo.

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:15
English to Hindi
+ ...
attractive rates Jul 13, 2006

John Colangelo wrote:

No, I am not a recruiter. But they wouldn´t have to pay me to be one either. There are many excellent universities. Granada ( my alma mater), la Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Salamanca, Oviedo ... I like Granada because it is a truly beautiful city. There are excellent faculties and it´s a place where you can find many different types of people living. There are of course many other places. But the most important thing you should look at is the following: a thousand dollar tuition for a whole year compared to a 10,000 $ for just a semester. There is a big difference. It´s also about the contacts you can make and people you meet. Your husband´s scientific background will help him land a good job as well as your American nationality but you will both have to come over here and look. Madrid might be your solution and you know what they say about Madrid: De Madrid al cielo.

Do you mean that one would pay US$1000/year as tuition fees. [For Phd]. Suppose, one came down to learn Spanish as a foreigner ... and wanted to begin from the preliminary/certificate level... and wished to study till the Advanced Diploma or Bachelor's levels... then how long would it take? And would the fees be $1000/year or lesser?

This is very interesting...and what would one spend on rent / food etc?

Roomy

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Hi Roomy ... Jul 13, 2006

Here is the website of the Centro de lenguas modernas in English: http://www.ugr.es/~clm/indexing.htm .

Concerning room and board you would probably look for a flat with other students and in that case you would need about 200 euros a month for rent and 300 or 400 for your personal expenses. The advantage would be you would be speaking Spanish all the time.

The Universidad de Málaga is also an excellent center for studying Spanish as a foreign language. They offer 5 hours daily. Many people have studied there. I studied there back in 85. It was an excellent course with top notch teachers. Here is their webite:

http://www.uma.es/estudios/extranj/iextranjeros.htm

Chiarraighe
Spanish to English
+ ...
In some cases, it depends on what you want to study.... Jul 13, 2006

Hi there, Yolanda,

Although I am American, I studied for my doctorate in England. I focused on the translation of English literature into Galician. I chose to study in England because the top scholars in my field are located there and because I had more opportunities to get grants for studying and researching in Spain during the holidays. Plus, I finished faster and I managed to pay less for a top-notch education. These are factors that I considered important when making my decision. You also may want to take think about them. In addition, you should mull over the following questions:

First and foremost, what are you interested in studying? Spanish linguistics? Spanish literature? Translation? A combination of subjects? It is very important to narrow down your areas of interest as soon as possible. Once you know the subject, you should try to find out who the top scholars in the field (most are in the US or the UK). If you are interested in translation, you may want to check out the University of Texas at Dallas, where there is a Center for Translation Studies. You may also want to check out The University of Massachusetts Translation Center. Although education is more expensive in the US, there may be scholarships/grants/teaching posts that help you combine your studies and your teaching.

Second, are you willing to move around to study and to work? As a graduate student of Spanish, you will probably have to spend some time in the country that interests you. Plus, once you finish your degree, you will have to look for grants as a post-grad or jobs as a lecturer. This will mean that you usually have to move around quite a bit, at least until you are offered tenure.

Third, how much time and money are you willing to invest? A PhD program can be very time-consuming, grueling and stressing. Moreover, once you finish, you may not be able to find a job as easily as you hope. I have friends who had to wait a couple of years before getting their break in a university.

As for studying in Spain, it may be much more difficult for you than has been suggested. You will first have to your undergraduate degree recognized by the university system as well as the government (sometimes both autonomous and national governments) here. It involves a lot of paperwork and is anything but easy. I speak from personal experience (I have been living and working in Spain since I finished my doctorate).

What you could try to do is spend a year or two here as an English "lectora". US/UK universities and Spanish universities usually sign collaborative agreements that allow for student exchanges. This is also something you could consider.

In any case, good luck on your search. If you have other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably not for Yolanda Jul 13, 2006

since she has a family (harder to be mobile) but...

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

Do you mean that one would pay US$1000/year as tuition fees. [For Phd]. Suppose, one came down to learn Spanish as a foreigner ... and wanted to begin from the preliminary/certificate level... and wished to study till the Advanced Diploma or Bachelor's levels... then how long would it take? And would the fees be $1000/year or lesser?

This is very interesting...and what would one spend on rent / food etc?

Roomy

Your local Instituto Cervantes (consult the Spanish Embassy as to where that is) gives grants for many countries [if applying from the States, also check the Fullbright pages in this forum, since it has a very active exchange program with Spain]. If you get accepted in a state-run university / higher education center (including the EOI, the state language school) and come under a Cervantes grant, the tuition is free.

Otherwise, language school tuition is a steal, and I can't remember my PhD tuition rising beyond 500 euro a year (from 1993-1995. I finished my dissertation in 1999). I went to a state university. (Private universities, on the other hand, can be very expensive.)

Likewise, certain schools like the University of Alcalá de Henares also periodically give scholarships. If you review previous postings under Professional Development, you'll come across some of them.

For those who are interested, monthly stipends from the State are calculated on the basis of the Consumer Price Index and are usually sufficient for one person's food and lodging in a shared apartment.

Although these scholarships are usually given for yearly periods, they are extendable for PhDs on the basis of grades obtained and teachers' evaluations. Meaning, if you're accepted for a second year in your institution, renewal is practically automatic.

Postscriptum: I just checked on stipends. The full going rate last year was 1,200 euro a month. If the agency takes care of placing you in a "Colegio Mayor" (students' residence), you get 600 euro.

Travel expenses may be applied for separately.

[Edited at 2006-07-13 23:11]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doctoral Studies

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums