Certified Translator?
Thread poster: transfromvic
transfromvic
transfromvic
Local time: 09:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 13, 2006

I am asked by a client if I am a certified translator. The truth is that I have a Master's Degree in English Philology, besides courses of English. Does that mean that I am a certified translator, i.e. that my translations are certified? If not, how can I become certified?
Thanks for your advice.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
What are the rules in your country for becoming certified? Jul 13, 2006

Each country has rules regarding requirements to become a certified translator. Some hold competitive examinations, others approve certain degrees, and still others have a mixture of both systems.

Be that as it may, certified translators are included in a kind of official roster, which may include their seals, numbers, and will certainly include their names and recognised signatures. Philology and language courses are not enough.

Mutarjim97
Mutarjim97
United States
Local time: 02:32
French to Arabic
+ ...
Depends on where you and/or your client is Jul 13, 2006

Hello Victoria,
In the US there is no such thing as a certified translator technically spealing: with the exception of certain court testing programs (mainly a one sitting test) and acamdemic studies in several universities, you do not officially get a certificate that says you are a certified translator. There is the ATA accreditation test which many translators think it is unncecessary and local state and federal registry testing programs. In some African, Asian and European countries,
... See more
Hello Victoria,
In the US there is no such thing as a certified translator technically spealing: with the exception of certain court testing programs (mainly a one sitting test) and acamdemic studies in several universities, you do not officially get a certificate that says you are a certified translator. There is the ATA accreditation test which many translators think it is unncecessary and local state and federal registry testing programs. In some African, Asian and European countries, there are state sponsored testing and training programs that allow you to receive a certificate/license to practice translation and recognize your work as officially certified. If your client is in the states, tell and prove to them that you are experienced and, if necessary, you can certify your own translations by notarizing a statment establighing the accuracy of the translation although prominent companies do not require that. If your client is in a coutry that deals with officially accredited translators in non American organizations, I think you should let them know about your situation.

The bottom line is the proven ability to proivide accurate flawless work.
Best of luck to you
Collapse

transfromvic
transfromvic
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rules in my country Jul 14, 2006

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my country there is no need in a special license or permit to make translations. A
translator is considered as licensed, or certified if he/she has a university diploma. A
translator might have or not have a seal but it is not a must. A translator might buy a patent
if he/she does not want to pay the state taxes to the tax office but I prefer to pay them
instead of buying a patent as this way they make deductions for the social
... See more

In my country there is no need in a special license or permit to make translations. A
translator is considered as licensed, or certified if he/she has a university diploma. A
translator might have or not have a seal but it is not a must. A translator might buy a patent
if he/she does not want to pay the state taxes to the tax office but I prefer to pay them
instead of buying a patent as this way they make deductions for the social fund from which
they will pay me a rent when I get old. Here, if a client says that he/she wants a certified
translation, it means that the translation must be notarized, i.e. authenticated by the
notary. The notary writes the following text below the translation, and it is certified:

REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA
XXXXXX PRIVATE NOTARY’S OFFICE
Headquarters: XXXXXXXX

The twenty-ninth of December year two thousand and five

I, XXXXXX, a private notary, legalize the signature of the translator CRAVCENCO VICTORIA who
is familiar to me.

Registered under number __________
State duty collected XXXX
Fee charged for notary’s services XXXXXX
Private Notary’s signature XXXXXXXX

Seal: Republic of Moldova. XXXXXXXX. Notary. Chisinau.

What shall I do to become an internationally certified translator? I am ready to pay for my studies, and pass all the necessary tests/exams. By the way, I am a 2-year post-graduate student for Doctor's Degree. Is it worthy becoming a PhD, I mean does it give you an advantage in Europe or the US?
Collapse

transfromvic
transfromvic
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to become an internationally certified translator? Jul 14, 2006

What shall I do to become an internationally certified translator? I am ready to pay for my studies, and pass all the necessary tests/exams. By the way, I am a 2-year post-graduate student for Doctor's Degree. Is it worthy becoming a PhD, I mean does it give you an advantage in Europe or the US?

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
In that case... Jul 14, 2006

transfromvic wrote:

instead of buying a patent as this way they make deductions for the social fund from which
they will pay me a rent when I get old. Here, if a client says that he/she wants a certified
translation, it means that the translation must be notarized, i.e. authenticated by the
notary. The notary writes the following text below the translation, and it is certified:

REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA
XXXXXX PRIVATE NOTARY’S OFFICE
Headquarters: XXXXXXXX

The twenty-ninth of December year two thousand and five

I, XXXXXX, a private notary, legalize the signature of the translator CRAVCENCO VICTORIA who
is familiar to me.

Registered under number __________
State duty collected XXXX
Fee charged for notary’s services XXXXXX
Private Notary’s signature XXXXXXXX

Seal: Republic of Moldova. XXXXXXXX. Notary. Chisinau.

... Moldova operates like the US and the UK. I.e., the intervention of the Notary Public is called for.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
PhD: certainly an advantage in the US Jul 14, 2006

transfromvic wrote:

In Europe, I believe it would depend on the country. Some have a lot of PhDs, and it's quite common. (Probably anyone who has ever contemplated a teaching career may have gone for one, and in some countries you only get tenure after your second PhD).

To be "internationally certified" is another question altogether. Many of us are simply nationally certified (with national translator associations) and that counts for a valid credential. The International Federation of Translators is an umbrella organization grouping all the national organizations together (no individuals) -- if you belong to one of the member orgs, that's usually it. Within the EU, there is no transnational certifying institution. When you present a candidacy to work for an EU institution after having been a freelancer, they ask for your income tax declarations attesting to the years of experience they require in the candidacy call. (Income tax declarations are public documents, so there is a soundness to this logic).

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:32
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
there is no such thing Jul 14, 2006

[There is no such thing as "internationally certified translator".
The thing is: whether your professional credentials (as a translator or linguist) will be recognized by the relevant (requesting) bodies in the country your client needs her/his certified translation for.
I mean even the local notarization of your credentials / name etc. may not work with certain bodies in the ceratin countries and they may request a local confirmation.

quote]transfromvic wrote:
... See more
[There is no such thing as "internationally certified translator".
The thing is: whether your professional credentials (as a translator or linguist) will be recognized by the relevant (requesting) bodies in the country your client needs her/his certified translation for.
I mean even the local notarization of your credentials / name etc. may not work with certain bodies in the ceratin countries and they may request a local confirmation.

quote]transfromvic wrote:

What shall I do to become an internationally certified translator? [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified Translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »