Mobile menu

How to become a DTP translator?
Thread poster: Floriana Casciabanca

Floriana Casciabanca
Local time: 20:33
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

My dear friends, I'm a little bit curious. How to become a DTP translator? I know it's not very easy, but it could be interesting.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!!

Floriana

Direct link Reply with quote

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 21:33
English to Russian
Start from HTML Jul 21, 2006

Since most DTP jobs are tagged text you could save
a couple of web-pages, open them in notepad and
get the general idea behind tags. Which is very easy.
And which basically covers it. Try translating it using
Wordfast and you'll see.

A nice tutorial om XML will be useful too.

Good luck!
Aleksandr

JoseZ
English
DTP translator Jul 21, 2006

Hola Florinana,

Some programs such as Trados work nicely with other DTP programs. All you have to do is extract the text from the source document (using "Story Collector" in Trados case) and translate away. Then you will have to reflow the text back into its original format.

However, must clients will send the text to be translated in a MS Word file and they take care of their own DTP. You could also work directly into the source file (Quark, etc) but you will run into some problems. Furthermore, you must need to know how Quark, In Design, etc work. Your trying to take BIG task.

Have fun learning!!
Ciao
Jose

Floriana Casciabanca wrote:

My dear friends, I'm a little bit curious. How to become a DTP translator? I know it's not very easy, but it could be interesting.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!!

Floriana

Floriana Casciabanca
Local time: 20:33
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Jul 22, 2006

Dear Aleksandr and Josez

thank you so much for having answered to my question. I know it's not so easy becoming a DTP translator, but I think that in the long future I can make it. You've been very helpful to me!

Thanks a lot again!

Floriana Casciabanca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become a DTP translator?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs