Thread poster: John Colangelo

John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2006

Recently I was checking out the blog of a translator I know and asked myself if a blog would be a good way of also advertising one´s self before putting up a web page.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergio Romero Caballero  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
I think... Aug 12, 2006

... that a blog is more effective when you have a website and you link each other. It increases the chance of your site to appear in Google, and surely you'll get more visitors. Anyway, you could always use a blog to sell your services, I also know some translators who do this.

Personally, I had my website first, and now I'm starting a blog in which I'll write about some translation-related topics.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
They're two different things Aug 12, 2006

John Colangelo wrote:
Recently I was checking out the blog of a translator I know and asked myself if a blog would be a good way of also advertising one´s self before putting up a web page.

A blog is a journal. It is intended to be updated regulary with interesting or at least relevant content, preferably unique content not simply copied from elsewhere. A web site can be static, in other words, you can design it and then leave it for two years without anyone realising that what is on it, is two years old.

Instead of moving from a blog to a full web site, I'd suggest starting out with a static web site and have a blog section on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blogs: a step prior to web pages

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs