John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2006

Recently I was checking out the blog of a translator I know and asked myself if a blog would be a good way of also advertising one´s self before putting up a web page.

Sergio Romero Caballero
Sergio Romero Caballero  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:54
English to Spanish
I think... Aug 12, 2006

... that a blog is more effective when you have a website and you link each other. It increases the chance of your site to appear in Google, and surely you'll get more visitors. Anyway, you could always use a blog to sell your services, I also know some translators who do this.

Personally, I had my website first, and now I'm starting a blog in which I'll write about some translation-related topics.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
They're two different things Aug 12, 2006

John Colangelo wrote:
Recently I was checking out the blog of a translator I know and asked myself if a blog would be a good way of also advertising one´s self before putting up a web page.

A blog is a journal. It is intended to be updated regulary with interesting or at least relevant content, preferably unique content not simply copied from elsewhere. A web site can be static, in other words, you can design it and then leave it for two years without anyone realising that what is on it, is two years old.

Instead of moving from a blog to a full web site, I'd suggest starting out with a static web site and have a blog section on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blogs: a step prior to web pages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »