Thread poster: trans-agrar

trans-agrar  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:46
English to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2006

Dear all,

is anybody out there who can give me links of those English/American colleges/universities and their libraries that teach translating/interpreting? I am currently researching into what kind of literature is available on the market as to issues on German-English translations.
Thanks for any hint
Barbara

Direct link Reply with quote

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
A good start: ProZ Aug 27, 2006

Barbara Sabel wrote:

is anybody out there who can give me links of those English/American colleges/universities and their libraries that teach translating/interpreting? I am currently researching into what kind of literature is available on the market as to issues on German-English translations.
Thanks for any hint
Barbara

While someone here may or may not have such a list, you can start doing your own research. Here are a few hints:

1) You could start with the list of "Translator Organizations" in the "Community" tab at the top of this page. Certainly translation associations like ATA (American Translators Association) should have that type of information available for their country. There may even be a list on their website.

2) Entering 'translation programs + universities + US' into Google will also get you 30,000+ hits. (If a single concept consists of two words and more, they should be entered between quotation marks, or use the extended options.) The libraries can probably be found through the universities' websites.

3) There are probably journals for the translating profession, and very likely some also aimed at the commercial side of translating, e.g. vendors of translation memory software, and their respective associations, like LISA.

4) You could also just try looking for "issues + German-English translations" in Google.

5) Try asking at your local library for assistance or ideas, library staff are often very helpful.

This should be enough to get you started.

Good luck on your project.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:46
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
A Few Sources Aug 27, 2006

http://www.llc.ed.ac.uk/graduateschool/translationstudies/documents/ProgrammeHandbookTransStudies0506.pdf

From one of the intro courses (around pages 12-17 at the end of each course) but provides a good overview of translation theory, etc.

http://www.erudit.org/en/revue/meta/index.html#liste

Meta is a magazine that publishes translation related papers. Different issues deal with different questions.

So far as German-English translations, the first name I think of is Dorothy Kenny as I know she does work in both languages but she works in corpus based translation studies and I'm not sure that's what you're interested in. Another name is Wolfgang Teubert but he is more of a linguist than a TS scholar.

In any case, any of those works on the UofEdinburgh site are good if you're looking for basic information on translation theory. If you're looking for more practical questions, such as techniques to translate from EnglishGerman, I believe the "Thinking Translation" series has a German edition as well (it's also listed on the Edinburgh list). That should give you a good start. The number of published books in the field of TS is, in my opinion, actually rather limited - especially in comparison to other fields. There are, however, many papers and magazines that are excellent sources of information.

I hope this helps.

Anna Strowe
Local time: 20:46
Italian to English
Another source Aug 27, 2006

You can also check out Katerina Reiss for translation studies (general and also, I think, related to German). Mostly translated into English. The book I can think of off-hand is Translation Criticism: Limitations and Potentials, but she's written a number of other books. She tends towards a practical, functionalist view of translation.

Anna

trans-agrar  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for you feedback Aug 28, 2006

Dear all,

thanks for all you input. After I started out rather unscientifically, entering random search strings in google that did not produce the kind of results I needed, especially Woodstock's guidance is of great help. UofEdinburgh is also a good link. Also thanks to Anna, but Katharina Reiss still does not offer the kind of practical approach I am looking for.
Thanks again
Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recent English literature on translation issues

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs