City University DipTrans distance learning
Thread poster: steve d
steve d
steve d
Local time: 22:25
French to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

I'm considering taking the City University DipTrans distance learning course. My source languages are French and Spanish and my target lang is English.

Haven't yet decided which SL i'll choose -- could anybody offer comments on their experiences of this course or any other distance learning DipTrans course?

Thanks a lot...

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:25
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I did this course in Autumn 2000/Spring 2001 Aug 29, 2006

Hi Steve,

I recommend the City University, London. However, I have a different language pair from you. I did the German to English preparatory course for the Dip. Trans. and had an excellent and very conscientious tutor, who took a great deal of trouble over marking and commenting on each practice translation. I can only recommend the course, if that is the standard throughout.

Astrid (Dip. Trans. IOL, MIL)

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Excellent in my experience, but of course depends on tutor Aug 30, 2006

I did their French-English course in 2003 before taking the exam in 2004. At the beginning of the course I was very new to translation, having graduated only eighteen months previously, and during the first few weeks of the course I remember being a little discouraged by the seas of comments I used to get from my tutor; after a while, however, I gradually began to take on board what she said and soon came to realise just how much she was helping me. She always took care to explain the general pr... See more
I did their French-English course in 2003 before taking the exam in 2004. At the beginning of the course I was very new to translation, having graduated only eighteen months previously, and during the first few weeks of the course I remember being a little discouraged by the seas of comments I used to get from my tutor; after a while, however, I gradually began to take on board what she said and soon came to realise just how much she was helping me. She always took care to explain the general principles behind her suggestions, rather than just saying things like "you should put X instead of Y here" - and that was where the learning really happened, from my point of view. By the end of the year the seas had turned to trickles, but the most important thing for me was that I really felt as though I had learned a lot and was now applying the principles she had taught me. I'm sure the fact I passed the exam was in no small way thanks to her help.

I also did two terms of their Russian-English course during the same year but then decided I wanted to concentrate on one language at a time as I was in a new job by then and had much less time on my hands. The comments my tutor made were certainly helpful and I did enjoy the course a great deal, though I think he tended to focus more on the specific case in point (choice of a particular word, etc.) each time than on going into the underlying principles/theory.

So overall, I thought both courses were very good but I feel that most of what I really know about the process of translating came from my French-English tutor. I've no idea if she is still working for them but I can say that for me, the experience was an excellent one and I'd recommend them.
Collapse

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
German to English
Excellent in my experience, too Aug 30, 2006

Although I did it in 2003 in the same combo as Astrid's and I suspect we had the same tutor. (Was it I.G., Astrid?)

I found the course very focused, it didn't take up much of my time at all and was excellent preparation for the exam.

[Edited at 2006-08-30 06:25]

Laura Lucardini
Laura Lucardini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Go for it! Aug 30, 2006

Hello Steve,
I did this course with City University two years ago for the Eng>Ita pair and couldn't recommend it more. I had a great tutor and, despite being in the job for many years, thanks to this course and my tutor I started taking a totally different and even more professional approach to translating.
I think the long distance course is more tailored to your own needs than the general classes you can attend, as each assignment is reviewed by your tutor and you do get an accura
... See more
Hello Steve,
I did this course with City University two years ago for the Eng>Ita pair and couldn't recommend it more. I had a great tutor and, despite being in the job for many years, thanks to this course and my tutor I started taking a totally different and even more professional approach to translating.
I think the long distance course is more tailored to your own needs than the general classes you can attend, as each assignment is reviewed by your tutor and you do get an accurate and personal feedback.
Definitely go for it, I would say.
Ciao,
Laura
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
It all depends on the tutor Aug 30, 2006

I took and English-Italian course and I must say I was not so impressed by my tutor. She hardly corrected anything in my translations and I felt it was rather useless. However, during that same semester a friend of mine was taking the same English-Italian course with a different tutor and I could see the other tutor was far more helpful and provided her with rich comments, notes, observations.
So it's not the language pair, it's definitely the tutor.

Laura

lalabelle
lalabelle  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Agree with Laura Aug 30, 2006

You should try to find out who will be your tutor, as this distance learning course depends very much on how much effort your tutor is willing to put in this.
Personally, I had a bad experience with this DipTrans (English into French, year 2003), with a tutor who was very rude and obviously could not care less about his students. But I have heard good comments about this DipTrans too. So, be careful!
Annabelle

Lucy Spring
Lucy Spring
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another satisfied customer! Oct 17, 2006

I had the most wonderful tutor at City who prepped me for my Dip Trans in Dutch to English in 2000.

Distance Learning was the only way to go for me, because by that stage I had 2 children under the age of 6, and was already working as a translator.

I highly recommend them.

Nati Manzano
Nati Manzano  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Add one more to the list of satisfied students of City University Jan 19, 2007

I too recommend City University for the DipTrans prep course. My language pair is English into Spanish and my tutor was excellent, both by attendance and distance learning (i took a term of each, and each has advantages and disadvantages).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

City University DipTrans distance learning

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »