Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2006

I'm teaching a new course, "Foundations of Translation" for the University College, University of Denver.

I'll be publishing my lecture notes on my blog, About Translation: so far I've posted the outline of the first lesson, but I plan to publish subsequent lessons as the course de
... See more
I'm teaching a new course, "Foundations of Translation" for the University College, University of Denver.

I'll be publishing my lecture notes on my blog, About Translation: so far I've posted the outline of the first lesson, but I plan to publish subsequent lessons as the course develops.

Foundations of Translation - A short description of the course.

Lesson1 - Differences between translation and interpreting - The outline of the first lesson.

Any request for information is welcome.

[Edited at 2006-09-22 07:15]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TQM? Sep 22, 2006

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Any request for information is welcome.

Do you think translation quality management might be part of such a course? Where on the web can I find concrete information about TQM? Most web sites on the topic just mention the most broad basics that anyone could figure out by themselves anyway, but provides little practical tips on doing TQM oneself.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Site for translation quality management Sep 22, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Do you think translation quality management might be part of such a course? Where on the web can I find concrete information about TQM? Most web sites on the topic just mention the most broad basics that anyone could figure out by themselves anyway, but provides little practical tips on doing TQM oneself.

Hi Samuel:

I will touch on translation quality control, assurance and assessment later during the course.

Since it is a 5-lesson introductory course, with a lot of material to be covered, I won't be able to treat translation quality management in depth, this time.

You may find more information about translation quality control in my other blog, Translation Quality Blog, and especially on TranslationQuality.com, a site I created together with a colleague from a larger translation company. As yet we don't have much material there (too much work and too little time to devote to the site), but if you download the presentations we gave to the ATA in the past few years, you'll find details of the system we have been developing, together with explanations of some other translation quality initiatives.

We also published an article on translation quality on the July/August 2006 issue of Multilingual, and Multilingual also devoted most of an issue to translation quality control matters earlier this year.

[Edited at 2006-09-22 15:15]

[Edited at 2006-09-22 15:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Course on Foundations of Translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »