Thread poster: Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:05
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2006

I applied for DipTrans examination in English - Latvian pair and was really interested in taking the exam next January.

I received a letter from IOL saying that my registration fee will be returned and I will not be able to take the exam, because IOL only holds the exam if 5 or more candidates apply in the same language pair. The problem is, it appears to me that there are not too many EN-LV translators who are willing to get this certification, so I can't imagine 5 candidates ever
... See more
I applied for DipTrans examination in English - Latvian pair and was really interested in taking the exam next January.

I received a letter from IOL saying that my registration fee will be returned and I will not be able to take the exam, because IOL only holds the exam if 5 or more candidates apply in the same language pair. The problem is, it appears to me that there are not too many EN-LV translators who are willing to get this certification, so I can't imagine 5 candidates ever applying for the same exam.

So I was wondering if anyone on ProZ has ever been allowed to sit the exam when less than 5 people applied in the respective language pair?

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-09-27 09:15]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-09-27 09:18]
Collapse

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
Local time: 13:05
English
I have no idea, but... Sep 27, 2006

Hi,

I know nothing about the exam, but is it not worth advertising in some way that you want to take the exam and see if you can drum up a little team of like minded people to take the exam at some date in the future?

Trevor

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
completely agree with Trevor Sep 27, 2006

Hi!
I would also suggest trying to find 4 other people of your language combinations interested in taking this diploma.
Why don't you also open a thread on the IOL's website under Discussion forum.
Here's the link: http://www.iol.org.uk/discussion/welcome.asp?r=D9ELJEEYAX
Wish you good luck:)))
BW

[Edited at 2006-09-27 10:14]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask if there is any alternative exam - you may be qualified already. Sep 27, 2006

When I applied to take the Dip. Trans. I was asked to send all my exam. certificates etc. and of course did so.

I was lucky, because the diploma I already held from the University of Southern Denmark exempted me from the Dip. Trans. It included papers in legal translation, technology, economics and other subjects, and I have taken more since then.

It does not qualify me as a State Authorised translator in Denmark, because it is not a full Master's degree with a thesis,
... See more
When I applied to take the Dip. Trans. I was asked to send all my exam. certificates etc. and of course did so.

I was lucky, because the diploma I already held from the University of Southern Denmark exempted me from the Dip. Trans. It included papers in legal translation, technology, economics and other subjects, and I have taken more since then.

It does not qualify me as a State Authorised translator in Denmark, because it is not a full Master's degree with a thesis, and did not inlcude interpreting, which is compulsory for the Master's degree.

It solved my problem, however, and it might have been difficult to muster five candidates offering Danish for the Dip. Trans.

Jana Teteris may be able to help you:
http://www.proz.com/English-to-Latvian-translation-services/freelance-translator/41038

She worked for the Institute of Linguists at the time!

Best of luck!

Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:05
Turkish to English
+ ...
It happened to me Sep 27, 2006

I took the IoL Dip Trans in Turkish-English back in 2000. I seem to remember that they only required three candidates to hold the exam then. Well, only two candidates applied and the IoL approached both of us with the offer of paying a 50% surcharge on the fee (so that the IoL would in total receive the fee it would normally get from three candidates). We both accepted and the exam went ahead.
I wonder if the IoL would hold the exam if a single candidate paid five times the regular fee. If
... See more
I took the IoL Dip Trans in Turkish-English back in 2000. I seem to remember that they only required three candidates to hold the exam then. Well, only two candidates applied and the IoL approached both of us with the offer of paying a 50% surcharge on the fee (so that the IoL would in total receive the fee it would normally get from three candidates). We both accepted and the exam went ahead.
I wonder if the IoL would hold the exam if a single candidate paid five times the regular fee. If your budget runs to this, I suppose you could offer. Otherwise, I am afraid I don't see a solution.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IOL DipTrans exam - less than 5 candidates in language pair

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »