Thread poster: Myriam Garcia Bernabe

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Sep 28, 2006

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with Chapterhouse Publishing in the UK.

I am trying to decide whether it will be worth it doing one of their courses but I need to ascertain if their training would be professionally recognised.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sueg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:57
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I did their course. Sep 28, 2006

Hi Myriam,

I did their proof reading course some years ago. I found the course interesting, worthwhile and instructive.

As to whether it would aid you professionally is another question, except of course in your own written style.

I always write in all my translation CVs that I am a certified proof reader and the name Chapterhouse, UK.

I do not feel that this has brought me any additional work.

I have work, plenty of it, but no great amount of proof reading jobs - mostly translation. No-one has ever asked for my certificate, asked what I mean by certified proof reader, or in any other way indicated that it was important to them for awarding a particular job.

I could imagine that if you wanted to have anything to do with publishing that it could be of help to you, as one does learn the professional typesetter's and editor's notation. But if you are not editing manuscripts, just proof reading texts on the PC who needs margin notation?

Best wishes for whichever course of action you decide to take.

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Proofreading & copy-editing courses Sep 29, 2006

Thanks for the information.

I think I am more interested on how good they are and if they are recognised from the professional point of view.

I know that in this industry even the most illustrious of qualifications does not guaratee work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading & copy-editing courses

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs