Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: I need some advice
Thread poster: Pablo Fiumara
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
Nov 26, 2006

Hi!

I have been learning English for seven years. I really like it. I'd like to use it in my job but I am not sure whether I like teaching.

So, What Should I consider to choose whether Translation Course Or Teaching Course??

Thanks!

PS:Correct my english


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:45
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
You say you're not sure... Nov 26, 2006

whether you like teaching that much. Do you have any feelings about translation? Do you like it more? Less?

Maybe you could think about that. What do you want out of either teaching or translating?

Are you passionate about languages? Do you like working alone? Or do you prefer interacting closely with other people every day?

They are so different... But there's nothing stopping you from trying them both - eventually.

I don't know how much help this was (if it was any help at all!), but I wish you luck and enjoyment, whatever you choose.

Regards
Lina


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Nov 26, 2006

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

whether you like teaching that much. Do you have any feelings about translation? Do you like it more? Less?

Maybe you could think about that. What do you want out of either teaching or translating?

Are you passionate about languages? Do you like working alone? Or do you prefer interacting closely with other people every day?

They are so different... But there's nothing stopping you from trying them both - eventually.

I don't know how much help this was (if it was any help at all!), but I wish you luck and enjoyment, whatever you choose.

Regards
Lina



Yes, I like translating...I like speaking and writing in english. I like learning english as well.

I do like English, for sure.

For me, It's better to work at home (translating) but I have no problem to travel to go to my work

Thanks!

PS:Correct my english


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Eventually" Nov 27, 2006

is the keyword. A lot of the people here (translator members) have been teachers. And some of them are asked, because they are translators, to do a little teaching. Choices aren't mutually exclusive in real life.

Have fun while you can, where you can. Discovering the gifts and talents of the person in you is not a linear process.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
job opportunities Nov 27, 2006

Well...actually in Argentina is viceversa...I mean, teachers sometimes work translating texts....

I've been told I would get a better english if I studied to be an english teacher...but that depends on the university...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is your EN good enough? Nov 27, 2006

Cache wrote:

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

whether you like teaching that much. Do you have any feelings about translation? Do you like it more? Less?

Maybe you could think about that. What do you want out of either teaching or translating?

Are you passionate about languages? Do you like working alone? Or do you prefer interacting closely with other people every day?

They are so different... But there's nothing stopping you from trying them both - eventually.

I don't know how much help this was (if it was any help at all!), but I wish you luck and enjoyment, whatever you choose.

Regards
Lina



Yes, I like translating...I like speaking and writing in english. I like learning english as well.

I do like English, for sure.

For me, It's better to work at home (translating) but I have no problem to travel to go to my work

Thanks!

PS:Correct my english



Is your EN good enough to WRITE, to WRITE PROFESSIONALLY (i.e. pretty faultlessly) for a living????

In other words, can you be sure that your written EN is perfect or near perfect?

Why are you claiming to be a "translator to English" in your profile when you express doubts about your own English.

Aren't you really a native ES speaker and shouldn't you be offering to translate into Spanish?



[Edited at 2006-11-27 01:24]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Level of my english Nov 27, 2006

Why are you asking that?

All the same, my English is not perfect but It'll be one day(or near perfect) because I like learning English, Speaking and Writing English

I can get a better level of English if I take FCE/CPE and other international English Exams.Meanwhile, I could do the translation course

[Edited at 2006-11-27 01:24]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Hi Cache Nov 27, 2006

Given the fact that you do not specify your native language on your profile, that your country of residence is Argentina, and that you have learned English, I guess that your native language is Spanish. Thus, you had better change your language pair from Spanish-to-English to English-to-Spanish.

If you still want to put the Spanish-to-English, put it as the second language pair on your profile. It should be noted that generally translators translate from a foreign language to his/her native language. It may be based on the basic assumption that however proficient someone is in a foreign language, his/her native language proficiency must be much better.

As for the choice between translating or teaching, at the beginning just do both. Over time, you will see which one is more promising and rewarding.

Good luck.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The "translation course" in Argentina Nov 27, 2006

Cache wrote:

All the same, my English is not perfect but It'll be one day(or near perfect) because I like learning English, Speaking and Writing English

I can get a better level of English if I take FCE/CPE and other international English Exams.Meanwhile, I could do the translation course


is usually given for English into Spanish.

This is because in translation, we generally work into mother languages for better results.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

chinesetrans
Netherlands
Local time: 18:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Depends on the prosperity Nov 27, 2006

hi, you think of the career prosperity. Teaching in China is goverment surpported and most languange learners would choose teaching, of course, at the same time many would translate for part time jobs. Definitely, teaching and translating is very different, need quite a lot balance.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
"Do both courses" Nov 27, 2006

What??!!!

Oh my God! Dont you think it's too much? All the same, that's impossible because here you have to take an exam(and pass it) to enter to a course....and it would be very difficult to give two or three exams and pass it all :S:S


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
My native language Nov 27, 2006

Parrot wrote:

Cache wrote:

All the same, my English is not perfect but It'll be one day(or near perfect) because I like learning English, Speaking and Writing English

I can get a better level of English if I take FCE/CPE and other international English Exams.Meanwhile, I could do the translation course


is usually given for English into Spanish.

This is because in translation, we generally work into mother languages for better results.


Yes, my native language is Spanish because I live and was born in Argentina. I am studying English


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You can be successful with both Nov 27, 2006

chinesetrans wrote:

hi, you think of the career prosperity. Teaching in China is goverment surpported and most languange learners would choose teaching, of course, at the same time many would translate for part time jobs. Definitely, teaching and translating is very different, need quite a lot balance.


In Argentina, you can be successful with both...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vjekoslav Pavic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 18:45
English to Croatian
+ ...
Have fun.. Nov 27, 2006

But never forget to master your mother tongue too, otherwise you'll be "lost in translation". ))

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't be scared Nov 27, 2006



A lot of people here have done two (or more) courses. This is because in many places, the translation course is quite new, and colleagues arrived at translating as a career from other specialist fields. Some took it as a second course or as an MA or graduate programme because they wanted to improve their skills.

At any rate, it's quite average for people to seriously become translators in their 30s. This is probably because there are not that many placement opportunities in the field (in the sense of having an employer), and the ones that are really worth going for - like large international institutions - have gruelling recruitment processes that generally turn out in favour of experienced workers. And "getting experience" translates into having enough confidence and chutzpah to launch oneself as a freelancer. It's really something to think about as you grow older, not when you're just beginning to enter college.

When I mentioned the practice of translating into one's mother language (and the courses in Argentina) I was actually forewarning you that the translation course might disappoint you if what you want is to perfect your English. It's a commendable aspiration that is ideal at a young age, when one's language retention mechanisms are receptive in a different way (a lot of adults are receptive to language learning, but this is rather like high diving -- errors corrected in youth, even past the aperture of the "native language" window, do not tend to repeat, whereas an "error reflex" may develop in later adulthood if unchecked). A translation course presumes mastery of the source language upon admission, precisely because there is no time for professors to be acting as language teachers -- they have to teach translation, and they will teach it in the target language. If what you want is to USE your source language, maybe you should consider working, or even living in it: exploring tourism as a possible career, for example, living abroad later on, etc.. (By the way, you are welcome to browse this forum -- Professional Development -- for scholarship, travel and grant opportunities).

I'm sure Lia Fail doesn't mean to discourage you by challenging your profile, but she was pointing out precisely this standard practice.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need some advice

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs