Thread poster: Claire Joliet
Claire Joliet
Claire Joliet
Local time: 20:28
English to French
+ ...
Dec 27, 2006

Hello everyone!
I'm a French postgraduate student currently undertaking a two year master’s degree in translation at the University of Orleans, France.
In order to complete my diploma, I need to undertake a three month work placement which has to consist mainly of translation and can start from the beginning of May 2007. Although the placement doesn't have to be completed abroad, I would prefer to find something in Britain but I've been looking for something for a couple of month
... See more
Hello everyone!
I'm a French postgraduate student currently undertaking a two year master’s degree in translation at the University of Orleans, France.
In order to complete my diploma, I need to undertake a three month work placement which has to consist mainly of translation and can start from the beginning of May 2007. Although the placement doesn't have to be completed abroad, I would prefer to find something in Britain but I've been looking for something for a couple of months and it's quite hard to find.
Would you have any ideas of companies or organizations I could contact ?
Thank you very much for any help you could provide !!!

Sincerely,
Claire
Collapse

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Contact the British Consulate Dec 29, 2006

Hi. May I suggest that you contact the British Consulate in your area? There is usually a secretary in charge of cultural and educational exchanges in it.
Good luck.

DianaMoore
DianaMoore  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
non remunerated Jan 1, 2007

Hi,

Many of the placements are non remunerated work or they might pay for traveling costs only (petrol), also many placements in the UK are for short periods of max 3 weeks and you are looking for something for 3 months (maybe just ask for a placement and then work out schedules later). They already have plenty of students that are studying Translation in the UK filling the vacancies, so maybe that is why they are not replying. Maybe if you send an email to a placement coordinator
... See more
Hi,

Many of the placements are non remunerated work or they might pay for traveling costs only (petrol), also many placements in the UK are for short periods of max 3 weeks and you are looking for something for 3 months (maybe just ask for a placement and then work out schedules later). They already have plenty of students that are studying Translation in the UK filling the vacancies, so maybe that is why they are not replying. Maybe if you send an email to a placement coordinator of a UK program they can give you some advice. Good luck.
Collapse

chinesetrans
chinesetrans
Netherlands
English to Chinese
+ ...
try a british company in other countries Jan 2, 2007

May contact a british company in other countries. Lots of them need a translator like you, e.g. some jobs covering translation.

Claire Joliet
Claire Joliet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 3, 2007

Thank you all for your advice, I'll try what you suggested. Hope I'll find something !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for a work placement

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »