Mobile menu

Moving across from translation to copy editing / proofreading
Thread poster: mattsmith
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:17
German to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2007

Regarding work in the UK, I would be interested to know whether moving across from translation (DE / FR - EN) to professional copy editing and/or proofreading is considered to be a viable career option to translators, or whether such careers are dominated by journalists? I have a degree in modern languages and an MA in translation and have been working as an in house translator/proofreader. I'd also be very interested in hearing from any translators who may have made or researched this career move. I've noticed that copy editing and even proofreading is frequently better paid in the UK than translation, even though they arguably involve less skill. Any comments welcome.

[Edited at 2007-03-10 13:56]

[Edited at 2007-03-11 09:01]

Direct link Reply with quote
Copy editing? Mar 19, 2007

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is copy editing?
Is it similar to proofreading? Do you have to use symbols like in proofreading?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving across from translation to copy editing / proofreading

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs