Mobile menu

WLS certificate in translation
Thread poster: MDSurcin
MDSurcin
Local time: 02:30
English to French
Apr 13, 2007

I know that this was mentioned before, but I'm currently studying for the WLS certificate (Dublin-based agency), and I'd like to know how it "translates" into official credentials. Would it be the equivalent of a university degree (I have a BA degree)? Agencies tend to ask for so many credentials, I'd like to find a way to make the most of the WLS certificate.
Thanks for your feedback!

Direct link Reply with quote

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:30
Italian to German
+ ...
as far as I know Apr 14, 2007

Hi! As far as I know it is simply a translation certificate without any legal validity.
I think their certificate course is meant to be a preparatory course for the DIP TRANS issued by the Chartered IOL, just as the one you can take e.g. at the CITY UNIVERSITY of London.

Good luck with your studies!
Best

[Edited at 2007-04-14 11:35]

Trans-Marie
English to German
+ ...
Hi MDSurcin Apr 14, 2007

Hi MDSurcin

You should simply leave it as it is in my view. A certificate is a certificate and no degree equivalent. You could either write I hold the WSL certificate in translation or I hold the certificate in translation by the WSL. Surely there are different types of certificates available in different countries, but the term ‘certificate’ is sufficiently understood and not too ambiguous.

A degree is normally awarded by universities or colleges after you followed an approved programme of several years’ full time study and passed their assessments and exams etc., so unless both your course of study and the qualification obtained are very much similar to this, I would avoid the term ‘degree equivalent’.

Once you have finished your course and hold your certificate you will be in a better position for negotiations and I think your clients will appreciate your qualification especially as you already hold a BA. Good luck!

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:30
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe you could finish your MA? Apr 15, 2007

Hi again, I have just read in your profile that you were studying towards a MA in English. Why don't you go on with this? I think it would give you more credibility with agencies than the certificate you are currently studying for.
My 2 cents worth:)))
Best

[Edited at 2007-04-16 06:29]

MDSurcin
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Mea culpa! Apr 15, 2007

Yes... (sigh)... you're right... I know I should! But somehow too many things got in my way then! Hopefully one day...

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
It is just a private scheme Apr 25, 2007

You'd be better off doing the Dip or MA in Translation in DCU (my alma mater). DCU is one of the main translation schools in the British Isles.

The WLS programme is no guarantee of getting you work, but I could say the same about any translation course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WLS certificate in translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs