translation programs in Canada
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
German to English
May 11, 2007

I intend to pursue a career in the translation field, and am looking for a formal training course in the Toronto area. Someone suggested the University of Toronto, but they do not currently offer a German-English translation certificate (it is under review at this point).

Does anyone know of other institutions that offer translation training (I would be open to long-distance learning as well)? Thank you.
Brigitte

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
French to English
German-English May 11, 2007

I think you might be out of look if you're looking for a German-English translation program in Canada. I think all of the universities that offer translation only work with English and French.

You can always check, though. These are some of the universities that offer translation:

University of Ottawa
Concordia University
McGill University
Glendon College
Université de Moncton

I'm Canadian and I studied interpreting and translation
... See more
I think you might be out of look if you're looking for a German-English translation program in Canada. I think all of the universities that offer translation only work with English and French.

You can always check, though. These are some of the universities that offer translation:

University of Ottawa
Concordia University
McGill University
Glendon College
Université de Moncton

I'm Canadian and I studied interpreting and translation from French and German into English in Edinburgh, Scotland (Heriot-Watt University). I think you might have more luck at a UK university if you want to work with German.

Hope that helps,

Erika
Collapse

Brigitte Hamilton
Canada
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
German-English Translation Programs May 11, 2007

Thank you Erika! Yes, most of the universities in Canada focus on English-French.

Does the university in Edinburgh offer only degree programs (ie. four years or so), or also certificate/diploma options? I am more focused on the latter because of the time involved.

Thanks.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Moved this thread to Professional Development forum May 11, 2007

Dear Brigham,
Please note that I have moved your thread to the Professional Development forum, as it fits best there.

Have a nice day,
Monika

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Catch 22 May 11, 2007

I too would love to get a degree or cerficate in translation. Many outsourcers are now demanding this as a prerequisite in job postings but how are we supposed to get one when there are no programs available in Canada? I have looked into programs in The Netherlands, but that is virtually impossible without attending at least portions of it in person.
It is really a catch 22.

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
French to English
Reply May 14, 2007

Brigham wrote:

Thank you Erika! Yes, most of the universities in Canada focus on English-French.

Does the university in Edinburgh offer only degree programs (ie. four years or so), or also certificate/diploma options? I am more focused on the latter because of the time involved.

Thanks.

I'm not sure (I graduated 11 years ago). If you google the university name, you can find the website of its School of Languages. You could also try googling "translation courses" +UK to see if any have certificate programs.

Unfortunately for anyone who wants to get training in foreign language translation, French and English dominate in Canada. I wanted to study a third language, which is why I went to the UK (which I've since dropped).

Good luck,

Erika

Brigitte Hamilton
Canada
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Certificates/Courses in Canada May 15, 2007

Hi Erika,
thanks again for replying to my question - I did google the Scottish University, and it looks like they have a 'Centre for Translation and Interpreting Studies in Scotland'. Unfortunately that is about as much detail as the website provides (plus it was last updated five years ago....), so I have e-mailed the contact address at the bottom of the page.

I do have another question - is it possible to get one's credentials recognized without formal study, ie. write a te
... See more
Hi Erika,
thanks again for replying to my question - I did google the Scottish University, and it looks like they have a 'Centre for Translation and Interpreting Studies in Scotland'. Unfortunately that is about as much detail as the website provides (plus it was last updated five years ago....), so I have e-mailed the contact address at the bottom of the page.

I do have another question - is it possible to get one's credentials recognized without formal study, ie. write a test with one of the certifying associations and get accredited that way?
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another Question May 15, 2007

What about postgraduate studies for Translators in Canada?

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation programs in Canada

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »