living expenses during university study
Thread poster: Crystal Samples

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
French to English
+ ...
May 22, 2007

I'm not sure if this topic should be here or in the "Money Matters" forum, but I'll let the Moderators decide.

I'm planning on getting an MA in translation from a school in France. However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to pay for my living expenses over the 2 or 3 years when I probably won't be working. Right now, I have a full time job in the U.S. that pays a pretty good salary. I was thinking I could either save enough money to live off of while I'm studying, or I could get a bank loan for the 20 or 30 thousand dollars/euros I'll need over the 2 to 3 year period.

If any of you have travelled to the country of your B or C language for your BA , MA, or PhD, I was hoping that you could give me some advice on how to go about procurring funds to live on during my studies: savings, loans, grants, scholarships, or what?

Thanks in advance!

Sindee21

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some ideas May 22, 2007

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/france_159/studying-in-france_2192/how-can-the-project-be-funded_4965/how-can-you-receive-scholarship-from-the-french-government_1563.html

http://www.frenchculture.org/the_education.cfm

http://www.studyabroadfunding.org/France/

However, this kind of thing requires long-range planning to make requirements meet, so study the possibilities well!

Hope it helps.

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 23, 2007

Thanks for the links...they should helpful.

I'd also like to read about some personal experiences with this sort of situation - studying in Europe and not being able to work and support yourself during your studies.

Thanks again,

Sindee21

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Without European citizenship May 23, 2007

the real bummer is, a student can't work (God knows some would wait tables to learn French, which European students do all the time -- my British partner took up bartending in Toulouse for three months as a refresher.) It's all predetermined by the kind of visa they give you.

A study visa means, you're only good for private English classes and babysitting (technically, not even that, but mercifully, in-campus jobs do exist, and universities and research institutions can protect their own on the basis of their charters). There are items like research assistant, translators for research teams, and even assistants to the assistant librarian, where your existence as a foreigner can be justified. Back where I studied, the resident carillion player for a time was a German (Glöckenspiel) music scholar. But to find them you already have to be there, meeting people, like research project managers.

However, the closest and best bet with respect to where you are right now is a French consulate. These keep track of exchange programs with your country which might have a fair allowance for deserving and talented individuals. All in the name of goodwill and friendship, and, hey, what's translation for? They DO get Fulbright funds, you know. So don't be shy to ask.

If you already have your eye on a specific place/program, get the materials and study them: some aid is given through the foreign offices, but other forms of grant or scholarship may be less publicized. In fact, one type of aid may depend on another (for instance, government aid is conditioned to the acceptance of a school. Granted they trust you enough to consider your candidacy as a scholar, you're going to have to choose an institution anyway, so might as well get started.) It's always easier applying for a grant if a university has already said, "yes, we'll take her".

Oh, OK, I'm not being personal, but I did go through all that. One of the scariest things was discovering that the course I was enrolled in was technically not covered by the government aid I got -- I had to enrol two courses on the technicality, but the grant was generous. One year later, I was doing practicum in government, but by that time they had already found out on paper that my mother was technically European...

[Edited at 2007-05-23 23:26]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

living expenses during university study

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs