Mobile menu

Insead Business Schools Paris
Thread poster: eva75

eva75
English
+ ...
May 23, 2007

Does anyone have direct experience of the courses at this school or know someone who does?

I know it's ranked in the top 10 according to the FT 2007 MBA rankings, so I guess it's a good school.
Thanks in advance.

Also, any info about HEC in Paris would be welcome.

[Edited at 2007-05-23 16:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne McKee
Local time: 17:34
French to English
INSEAD May 23, 2007

INSEAD, ESSEC and HEC are recognised as being the best business schools in France, the quality of teaching is excellent and having these schools on your CV is sure to impress potential employers.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
Insead I&II May 23, 2007

Insead is not a French school, it is a private school and the business-school of the world. Has two campusses : One in Fontainebleau and one in Singapore and is associated with Wharton, one of the best biz.schools in the US, specialized in finance.
The first thing you need is an average Gmat-score: 710-720/800
Price-tag: about 40.000 euros.
You need work-experience, preferably as an employee.
You need to have shown managerial potential, so having started at a consultancy agency, a bank or at the lowest rung of a company, but having learnt by doing and having become a manager, can be an asset.
Academic background: Anything quantitative, sciences, engineering, economic studies, medicine, I.T. , law. Languages are a +, but not the big advantage to get in.
From experience, I know that most professionals working in companies don't have the faintest idea what freelance translation is about.
English is the language of instruction, a good knowledge of two other languages is required.
An average is made of all your achievements (translating texts is not an achievement) and test-results.
Average number accepted: 20% (970) people. You are up against hipos with the most diverse background.
Would be curious to know how are you going to sell a background as freelance translator? Once a freelance translator, you put yourself outside the normal business world. You do "go to work" and you do not climb the corporate ladder.
You are a loner sitting behind a pc, selling translations. Once a freelancer, always a freelancer. Freelance IT pays more and sells better.

At Insead, there are a number of days a year that you can attend a courses and you are free to attend a class every Friday-afternoon (if I am not mistaken). Better have a look at their website. Good luck.

[Edited at 2007-05-23 19:53]

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 23, 2007

Anne McKee wrote:

INSEAD, ESSEC and HEC are recognised as being the best business schools in France, the quality of teaching is excellent and having these schools on your CV is sure to impress potential employers.

Thanks for that. I'm not out to impress 'employers' but clients rather.

My main aims are:
1/ to deepen my knowledge of business subjects (which I studied previous to translation, I'd consider myself more of a business than a languages person)
2/ to give me ideas to make my business work better
3/ to network and find clients that pay well!

Francesca Sfondrini  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
INSEAD May 24, 2007

Hi Eva,

besides an MBA, INSEAD also offers Executive Programmes, meant for managers or employees "sponsored" by their companies and sent to Fontainebleau or Singapore for shorter periods (from 1 to 8 weeks) to follow courses on both general or very specific subjects. A few of them are the so called "Open Enrolment programmes", open to employees of different companies.

In 2002 I attendend one myself (Young Managers Programme) and found it extremely interesting. We had lectures of Finance, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, Strategy, Operations Management.

I admit I did feel like an outsider from time to time but I surely learned a lot.

Good luck.

Francesca

PS = Considering the average price of such courses, I would make sure to pick up the right one! A lot of info are to be found on the Executive Education page of the INSEAD site: http://executive.education.insead.edu/

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
Core Courses. May 24, 2007

The core courses are the same everywhere : the same handbooks used both in say Louvain and at Insead (sometimes the same professors).
It is only the way they are presented and finance, marketing and other courses are presented that differs.
If you want to approach your business like a business person and not like a "translator" on the stock-exchange for translators (Proz, Aquarius, TC), take a course of finance and marketing and view it from that angle. What niche are your in? Is your activity worth the effort? Most freelancers are in the business for "the love of languages" and the "so-called freedom"they enjoy.
But at the end of the fiscal year: what is your turnover, your ROI, your cash-flow...?

The alumnae of those schools form a "good-old boy" network, restricted to those who are a part of that network.

[Edited at 2007-05-24 08:24]

Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
OUBS May 24, 2007

Eva,

Have you considered the Open University Business School?

If it's mainly the knowledge you're after rather than the other aspects of the on-site business school experience (which are highly valuable if you're looking for a job in consultancy/finance later on), then it could be worth looking at the various programmes on offer at the OUBS.

Regards,

Andrew

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no thanks May 24, 2007

Andrew Steel MCIL, MITI wrote:

Eva,

Have you considered the Open University Business School?

If it's mainly the knowledge you're after rather than the other aspects of the on-site business school experience (which are highly valuable if you're looking for a job in consultancy/finance later on), then it could be worth looking at the various programmes on offer at the OUBS.

Regards,

Andrew

No, I really want to see lots of people every day and network. That's one of my main aims!

Distance learning is not for me.

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
Run that past me again.... May 27, 2007

Williamson wrote:

The alumnae of those schools form a "good-old boy" network [...] [/quote]

If they’re alumnae, wouldn’t it be an old-girl network?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insead Business Schools Paris

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs