Considering doing my master's in translation at ISIT in Paris, France
Thread poster: Dawn Cara
Dawn Cara
Dawn Cara
Local time: 06:02
French to English
Jun 6, 2007

I'm considering doing my master's in translation at ISIT in Paris, France. Are there any alumni here who wouldn't mind sharing their experience during/work opportunities after doing their program?

Thank you - Nikki
p.s. any suggestions for international scholarships are welcome:)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-06 11:18]

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 14:02
French to Dutch
+ ...
Juste one question Jun 6, 2007

Why ISIT and not ESIT? It is very expensive http://www.isit.icp.fr/rubriques/admission.htm
click on "frais de scolarité"

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-06-06 10:02]

Dawn Cara
Dawn Cara
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestion Jun 8, 2007

I'll make sure I check out ESIT:)

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Paris.... Jun 8, 2007

Hi NMR

ISIT and ESIT in Paris may have a great reputation,
but 1. their reputation comes mainly - I say "mainly", of course they are very good schools as well - because they are in Paris. They are great schools of translations elsewhere in France, Paris is not the center of the world
and 2. They are quite expensive, and so is living in Pari
... See more
Hi NMR

ISIT and ESIT in Paris may have a great reputation,
but 1. their reputation comes mainly - I say "mainly", of course they are very good schools as well - because they are in Paris. They are great schools of translations elsewhere in France, Paris is not the center of the world
and 2. They are quite expensive, and so is living in Paris (getting a flat, shopping...) Paris is very, very expensive...

If you´re looking for a "prestigious" school, then well ok, Paris - but why don´t you try ITI/ETI in Geneva ? It´s far more prestigious than any other translation school in the french-speaking area. It´s "la crème des crèmes"
if you´re looking for a translation school in France but not automatically seeking a so-called "prestige parisien", they are 3 others professionnal schools of translation in France and they are as good as ESIT/ISIT !
They are : the ITIRI in Strasbourg, the ESTRI In Lyon and the IPLV in Angers.

I considered applying at the ESIT a couple of years ago, and I looked at their programm - nothing extraordinary, quite the same as the other 3 schools.... but it´s Paris.... the old cliché !

I wish you good luck and all the best!

[Modifié le 2007-06-08 08:21]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Uh... Jun 8, 2007

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

If you´re looking for a "prestigious" school, then well ok, Paris - but why don´t you try ITI/ETI in Geneva ?

Hope you didn't mean to give the impression Geneva's less expensive...

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Nope ;-) Jun 8, 2007

Parrot wrote:

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

If you´re looking for a "prestigious" school, then well ok, Paris - but why don´t you try ITI/ETI in Geneva ?

Hope you didn't mean to give the impression Geneva's less expensive...

No I didn´t These schools all cost more or less the same price - they all are expensive !
But I meant to give the impression that if you´re looking for a prestigious school (that point was independant from the price) ITI/ETI in Geneva are the most prestigious in the european French-speaking

[Modifié le 2007-06-08 12:14]

Dawn Cara
Dawn Cara
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the comments! Jun 8, 2007

I actually visited the school in Geneva, but just the tuition alone would be a stretch - thanks for the suggestions of the additional schools in France:)

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Actually Jun 8, 2007

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

But I meant to give the impression that if you´re looking for a prestigious school (that point was independant from the price) ITI/ETI in Geneva are the most prestigious in the european French-speaking

[Modifié le 2007-06-08 12:14]

I could still find a few bargains in Paris as far as living costs are concerned -- I just wouldn't be able to say the same for Geneva! (I had that dilemma once...)

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
ESIT vs ISIT Jun 18, 2007

Hi Dawn,

Besides the schooling costs, you need to consider probably the most important aspect....getting in.

ESIT is public, which is why it's inexpensive, and to get in you have to pass a couple concours. I've taken the concours for Fr> EN > SP and though my level was excellent, there's only a limited amount of space, and I couldn't get in because of the overwhelming amount people testing for the same pairs. They will favorize more 'needy' language pairs such as Romani
... See more
Hi Dawn,

Besides the schooling costs, you need to consider probably the most important aspect....getting in.

ESIT is public, which is why it's inexpensive, and to get in you have to pass a couple concours. I've taken the concours for Fr> EN > SP and though my level was excellent, there's only a limited amount of space, and I couldn't get in because of the overwhelming amount people testing for the same pairs. They will favorize more 'needy' language pairs such as Romanian > French >Chinese.

ISIT is 'private' since it's part of the Institut Catholique de Paris, which is why it's more expensive. However, there are more places to be had and therefore easier to get in.

I hope this helps.
take care,
Natalia
Collapse

Dawn Cara
Dawn Cara
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
ISIT pros and cons Jun 18, 2007

Thank you for your comments N. M.:) I, too, believe ISIT is not the end all and be all. The translation programme they offer (scientific/technical) may not be what I need after all - add to that the fact that I can't seem to get any response from them, via e-mail or phone call. My search continues:)

Thank you all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering doing my master's in translation at ISIT in Paris, France

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »