Thread poster: Ana Lozano
Ana Lozano
Ana Lozano  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2007

Hi there,

I'm intending to follow a formal distance course to help me pass the IOL DipTrans English > Spanish and I am unsure as to which one I should do.

Any thoughts re: City University/ WLS / International House/ Susan Jameson Associates?

I am really looking for a course that can be started anytime during the year, but I will definitely consider waiting for a good one with a high pass rate.

I shall forever grateful for any advice given!!
... See more
Hi there,

I'm intending to follow a formal distance course to help me pass the IOL DipTrans English > Spanish and I am unsure as to which one I should do.

Any thoughts re: City University/ WLS / International House/ Susan Jameson Associates?

I am really looking for a course that can be started anytime during the year, but I will definitely consider waiting for a good one with a high pass rate.

I shall forever grateful for any advice given!!!!

Thanks to you all in advance!

Ana
Collapse

martafernandez
martafernandez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I passed with IH Jun 14, 2007

Hi Ana, HOLA! (I answered you back yesterday??)

I did DipTrans course " a distancia" with IH Barcelona last year. I took the Paper 1 and passed it. I was very happy with the course, the tutor (I really recommend her!!!), friendly, useful and SINCERE!!!, the arragements with the office were also great. No problem!

Anyway I have also heard good things from City University. You can also check IoL forum, sometimes people talk about that.

Good luck!!!

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas gracias Marta!! Te has presentado a Paper 2/3? Jun 14, 2007

martafernandez wrote:

Hi Ana, HOLA! (I answered you back yesterday??)

I did DipTrans course " a distancia" with IH Barcelona last year. I took the Paper 1 and passed it. I was very happy with the course, the tutor (I really recommend her!!!), friendly, useful and SINCERE!!!, the arragements with the office were also great. No problem!

Anyway I have also heard good things from City University. You can also check IoL forum, sometimes people talk about that.

Good luck!!!

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops, sorry, I posted my message in Spanish Jun 14, 2007

Hi Marta,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry everyone! I posted my reply in Spanish. Anyway, is the IHES Barcelona course good for the other 2 papers? Have you sat Papers 2 and 3 yet?

Is there a choice of tutors or is is always the same tutor who delivers the course. Who did you train with?

Regards,

Ana

mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:24
Spanish
+ ...
WLS Jun 14, 2007

Hi Ana,

I am currently taking an on-line course with WLS (Ireland) to sit the English-Spanish IoL DipTrans next January. I don't know about their "passing rates", if there is such a thing, but I would honestly recommend the course. I suppose all depends on the tutor you are assigned, but let´s say I'm very happy with the one assigned to me: clear, honest, knowledgeable and encouraging.

Good luck, whatever decision you make!

Mariana

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much! Jun 14, 2007

Hi Mariana,

Thanks so much for this. I have heard very conflicting stories about this one. Some reviews I have seen were amazing others pretty poor. This is why I thought I would ask around.

It does look good on the online brochure. Mmm decisions, decisions.

It would be interesting to know of anyone who has followed a Susan Jameson Associates course, as I had never heard of this one before.

Cheers!

Ana

martafernandez
martafernandez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Yes, I'm taking 2 and 3 Jun 14, 2007

Hi again!

IH Barcelona course prepares you for the three papers, then the tutor gives you her/his opinion about your level. I decided not to sit the three papers at once, but sit Paper 1 and if pass, taking 2 and 3. They have what they called Practicums for each paper. They consist on 8 mock exams, usually past ones, of the paper you decide. I did both thingss. First the general course- one year- and then prácticum for paper 1. I will take the Practicums for paper 2 and 3 before t
... See more
Hi again!

IH Barcelona course prepares you for the three papers, then the tutor gives you her/his opinion about your level. I decided not to sit the three papers at once, but sit Paper 1 and if pass, taking 2 and 3. They have what they called Practicums for each paper. They consist on 8 mock exams, usually past ones, of the paper you decide. I did both thingss. First the general course- one year- and then prácticum for paper 1. I will take the Practicums for paper 2 and 3 before the exam.

My tutor was always the same person, but i think the Practicum of legal or technical papers have different tutors.

I agree the tutor is very important, but also the structure of the course. At least I had not the level when I started. The course has translation, grammar cuestions and theory of translation. I found it more careful than only translation corrections. And exam orientation and tipps. useful.

I can't help you about others.

Cheers, Marta
Collapse

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! What is your background? Jun 14, 2007

Hi Marta,

Sorry to bother you again, but, do you hold a formal translating qualification? What is your background?

I did English Philology /English Studies and I was trying to avoid going to University. A while back I had an offer from Manchester UMIST to do an MSc in Translation and backed out because my husband relocated, so annoying. I should have done that then when I could spend the time/money. I now have 2 toddlers to contend with and cannot afford to spend
... See more
Hi Marta,

Sorry to bother you again, but, do you hold a formal translating qualification? What is your background?

I did English Philology /English Studies and I was trying to avoid going to University. A while back I had an offer from Manchester UMIST to do an MSc in Translation and backed out because my husband relocated, so annoying. I should have done that then when I could spend the time/money. I now have 2 toddlers to contend with and cannot afford to spend time/money on a full-time or even part-time taught course. This is why I thought one of these Distance/ online courses might do the trick.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice re: Distance courses for IOL DipTrans EN>SP

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »