Mobile menu

MA in translation distance learning
Thread poster: tazarine
tazarine
Local time: 00:15
English
Jul 16, 2007

I have applied for the MAs in translation from the University of West England and from Portsmouth University. I work full time in a publishing company and I think these courses will enable me to study at my own pace and obtain a Master. I would like to make sure that I will get a good training as a translator. Has anyone attended one of these courses? Which one do you think is best?

Thanks for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:15
English to German
+ ...
Hearsay Jul 17, 2007

I have heard that the MA in Translation in Bristol (University of West England) has a good reputation. The last time I visited their website the programme seemed to be very theoretical, but I see that they have restructured it and that there is more emphasis on CAT tools and practical translation courses.

I cannot comment on the Portsmouth course. I did take a look at their website, but it says that they will be offering it in distance mode from October 2007 on. The syllabus presented on their page looks rather theoretical to me, no language-specific or practical translation courses (as far as I can see, but I may be wrong here).

I think both courses sound interesting, but they are very general in nature, no specialization here or a deeper look at any subject matter such as law, medicine, IT, etc.

I don't know what you are planning to do after these courses. Maybe you are looking for an in-house position, in which case I believe both courses will be beneficial to you.

Sonja

tazarine
Local time: 00:15
English
TOPIC STARTER
project management Jul 17, 2007

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I am looking to expand my career prospects within the publishing/translation industry, so I don't mind a rather general course as I want a training in translation in order to do some project management in this field. However, I would rather invest my time and money in a well-recognized course.

quote]tazarine wrote:

I have applied for the MAs in translation from the University of West England and from Portsmouth University. I work full time in a publishing company and I think these courses will enable me to study at my own pace and obtain a Master. I would like to make sure that I will get a good training as a translator. Has anyone attended one of these courses? Which one do you think is best?

Thanks for your help [/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation distance learning

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs