BA (Hons) - Italian equivalent
Thread poster: Lietta Warren-Granato

Lietta Warren-Granato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:22
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2008

I have a BA (Hons) from University of Westminster, in London. It was a 4 year course. Now I have been asked to sign a Co Pro (contratto a progetto) by the Italian University I am translating for, but apparently the new 'Finanziaria' asks for external collaborators to have AT LEAST a 'Laurea di secondo livello', and the secretary at the University insists in saying that my BA (Hons) is only a 'Laurea di primo livello'.
As you are all aware, the old-style Italian degree courses used to last 4 years, but now with the new modular system there are 3 year courses, leading to a 'Laurea di primo livello', and further 2 years, leading to 'Laurea di secondo livello'. Has anybody here ever had their BA or BSc translated? Do you agree with me that a BA (Hons) is a 'Laurea di secondo livello'?

Direct link Reply with quote

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
Member (2004)
Italian to English
It will be their loss Feb 13, 2008

Hi Lietta

This sounds like part of the same argument that Italians were entitled to retain their title of Doctor (in translation) because their 5 years (minimum) courses were equivalent to our MAs. The EU is trying to standardise qualification levels but no doubt old attitudes die hard, especially in academia.
What they have to face is that if they are going to insist on a native English speaking translator with a postgraduate degree, they will be very lucky to find one (unless bamboozled by Oxbrige qualfications).
Good luck.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Feb 14, 2008

Hi Leitta,

Your question is a very interesting one. In the past a BA was equivalent to a second level qualification but since the coming into force of the Bologna agreement it no longer is. Here in Spain the agreement has been ratified but will only come into force in 2010. If however you did 4 taught years, this means not an eramus year, then you have a master 1 according to the new scheme. We do lose out a bit under the new arrangement which regulates language degrees. We are a bit in limbo at the moment as to how to translate degree certificates.

Katia Siddi
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
No :-( Feb 14, 2008

Since secondary school lasts 5 years in Italy, as a general rule you should translate as follows :

BA = laurea di primo livello ( 1 + 3 year-course + thesis)
MA = laurea V.O. or laurea secondo livello (1 + 4/5 year-course + thesis)

Lietta Warren-Granato  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 25, 2008

Thank you all. Luckily, they recognized my Degree as a 'secondo livello'.

Katia Siddi
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Happy for you :-) Mar 6, 2008

Sono contenta per te
Vedi anche nella nostra vecchia ma bella Italia le cose evolvono

All the best to you,

Katiuscia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Rania Ioannou[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BA (Hons) - Italian equivalent

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs