https://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/105392-help_with_track_changes_hell.html

Help with track changes hell!
Thread poster: Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
Cecilia Gowar
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2008

Hi! I have just started proof-reading a very long doc (with track changes) and have only changed ONE letter and, besides the usual box related to my change, I get further down lots and lots of red "track change" boxes that say: "Formatted: Spanish. Spain traditional sort" or "Formatted: English US". It has never happened before. I unchecked the box that says "formatting" in the TC button although all I've ever done before is turning it on and off, and there is no difference.
Any suggestion
... See more
Hi! I have just started proof-reading a very long doc (with track changes) and have only changed ONE letter and, besides the usual box related to my change, I get further down lots and lots of red "track change" boxes that say: "Formatted: Spanish. Spain traditional sort" or "Formatted: English US". It has never happened before. I unchecked the box that says "formatting" in the TC button although all I've ever done before is turning it on and off, and there is no difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 11:01
English to German
+ ...
Possible solutions May 23, 2008

This also happens to me very often - I think this appears when the language wasn't set for the document or you have an uncleaned file (with source and target text in it). Whenever this happens, I usually undo the change (in your case the change of the letter), and because the dots and language formatting changes will still be visible in the document, I accept (or decline) all changes in the document at once.
Please note: You have to check the whole document to see if all changes have been
... See more
This also happens to me very often - I think this appears when the language wasn't set for the document or you have an uncleaned file (with source and target text in it). Whenever this happens, I usually undo the change (in your case the change of the letter), and because the dots and language formatting changes will still be visible in the document, I accept (or decline) all changes in the document at once.
Please note: You have to check the whole document to see if all changes have been accepted/declined, since sometimes it isn't enough to accept/decline once and then you might come to the last 20 pages where all the dots appear and you are forced to decline them manually.

If there are already changes in your document that have to stay in (implemented by the client etc.), you can accept or decline (recommended) all the new dot instances by right-clicking them and then chosing "Decline format change" (or sth. like that. I recently discovered that you can select several of those changes and then consistently decline one after the other (multiple selection is good since with that many changes your fingers will burn after declining). Sometimes you have to click twice if it doesn't work at once.

Or, a very simple solution if you have already tried too much with this document: Just retrieve the original document and start from the beginning (maybe by inserting a letter somewhere and then, when the dots appear, you can first undo the letter change and then decline all of the dots with one click).

This is valid for MS Word 2003, but I am not sure which software you are using.

Hope that helps,
Michaela

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-23 17:57]

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-23 17:59]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with track changes hell!

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »