Mobile menu

Any idea about proofreading fees ?
Thread poster: kathrynclaire

Local time: 10:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2008

I've recently been contacted by a translation company in the UK for a proof reading job. I usually only translate from Italian to English so have no idea about the fees charged in this sector. Any suggestions?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-21 17:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
An idea Jul 21, 2008

Hi kathrynclaire

Thanks for asking.
I suggest you look at these threads: - a reasonable relationship between translating/proofreading prices - suggestion: 1/3 of your rate for translating - translation AND proofreading as opposed to translation OR proofreading

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
English to French
+ ...
More information Jul 21, 2008

Fabio's suggestions are excellent. For some more information, please read this article:

All the best!

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:01
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Proportion of translation rate Jul 21, 2008

Hi Kathryn,

I used to be confused about the issue, because some people in the industry said the proofreading rate was half your translating rate, and some said it was only one third.

The matter seems to have become clearer since I realised that those who say one third are usually assuming that you are charging a "healthy" rate for translating. Those, on the other hand, who suggest half seem to be agencies who assume that a translator works for a rather low rate in the first place. The answer to the sum ends up being the same.

It is for you to determine what that answer is, based on your knowledge of good average rates (in which case a third for proofreading) versus poor rates (in which case a half of that rate for proofreading).

Just my observations to date.

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:01
Member (2003)
French to English
SfEP rates Jul 22, 2008

You might find it useful to have a look at the website of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders ( They updated their suggested minimum rates in March 2008 - see here:

Lots of useful information about the differences between proofreading and editing, training and so on if it's an area you want to get more involved in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any idea about proofreading fees ?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs