Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
First proofreading assignment - and I guess it is badly paid. Should I take it?
Thread poster: mafia (X)
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:21
English to Spanish
Not off-topic at all Dec 19, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Sorry, off topic.

Not at all. The things you pointed out invite this type of proposal. If I do not appear serious or professional, I should not expect anyone to exhibit those qualities, or treat me as such. As we say in Spanish, "el hábito no hace el monje... pero lo distingue", roughly, it is not the cowl that makes the monk... but it sure distinguishes him.

My Hue McGowran
My Hue McGowran  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:21
German to English
You've got to be kidding! Dec 19, 2008

Really! I mean what is the world coming to? I'm glad you didn't take the job.

Valentin Cirdei
Valentin Cirdei  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 04:21
Member (2006)
English to Romanian
+ ...
True Dec 19, 2008

mafia wrote:

I have a proofreading job of about 30,000 words, but they only pay me for the words that have changed. Should I take it?

Of course. Just ask them where the mistakes are

mafia (X)
mafia (X)
TOPIC STARTER
someone out there have probably accepted the offer Dec 19, 2008

My Hue McGowran wrote:

Really! I mean what is the world coming to? I'm glad you didn't take the job.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
:D Dec 19, 2008

Valentin Cirdei wrote:

mafia wrote:

I have a proofreading job of about 30,000 words, but they only pay me for the words that have changed. Should I take it?

Of course. Just ask them where the mistakes are

You made my day

Andrea

[Edited at 2008-12-19 19:39 GMT]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:21
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Topic, please Dec 19, 2008

Dear ProZians posting at this thread,

I have just de-vetted three posts. This forum is all about "proofreading / editing", and this very thread deals with an (interesting) issue regarding what should be charged for a concrete job.

Nicole Schnell briefly posted to make a suggestion to the thread poster, noticing by the way that she was a bit off-topic. But in fact, some people went on discussing Nicole's suggestion. This
... See more
Dear ProZians posting at this thread,

I have just de-vetted three posts. This forum is all about "proofreading / editing", and this very thread deals with an (interesting) issue regarding what should be charged for a concrete job.

Nicole Schnell briefly posted to make a suggestion to the thread poster, noticing by the way that she was a bit off-topic. But in fact, some people went on discussing Nicole's suggestion. This cannot be done.

http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4 - "Replies should not stray from the posted topic. When responding to a topic initiated by another member, stick to the topic as introduced. To change the discussion, it is necessary to post a new topic."

So, I kindly invite persons whose posts have been hidden to edit them. This forum is not a place for discussing profiles.

Best regards,
Fabio Descalzi
Collapse

Dawn Montague
Dawn Montague  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
I wonder if there was a misunderstanding Dec 19, 2008

mafia wrote:

I wonder if there was a misunderstanding here. I often get jobs where I am only supposed to edit the "words that have been changed." This means that an already translated document had additional changes made to it after it was finished the first time. Maybe some new information come to light that needed to be inserted, or somebody decided they didn't like the first version. This sometimes happens with patient information sheets for clinical trials, and those changes need to be checked. You can tell where they are by the "Track Changes" markings or highlighting. These are usually paid by the hour because I have to search out the passages, make sure I know the context, etc. That might be useful information for the future - you wouldn't know whether that is what this company wanted unless you had an opportunity to ask more questions, however.

The reason I wonder about this is because offering to pay per word changed, and that's all, is so incredibly absurd.

[Edited at 2008-12-20 00:11 GMT]

TranslatorBS (X)
TranslatorBS (X)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
A Genuinely Grotesque Situation Dec 20, 2008

Imagine a doctor performing a check-up on a patient, but he/she will only be paid should they find an illness or a poorly-functioning organ in a patient.

Otherwise, with healthy patients - no pay for the GP.

[Edited at 2008-12-20 00:28 GMT]

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
That's how I understood it Dec 21, 2008

[quote]Dawn Montague wrote:

mafia wrote:

I wonder if there was a misunderstanding here. I often get jobs where I am only supposed to edit the "words that have been changed."

Dawn

I too understood Mafia's original post that way - that the agency only wanted to pay for parts of the text that had ALREADY BEEN altered - and not that they only wanted to pay for parts Mafia was GOING to alter, which of course, would be ridiculous.

Fiona

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Are you sure you understood the brief correctly? Dec 23, 2008

mafia wrote:
I have a proofreading job of about 30,000 words, but they only pay me for the words that have changed.

Is it possible that they mean that you'll be receiving an updated translation, and that they want you to review only the text that have changed since the previous version? I mean, if their text from 2007 was extensively reviewed and corrected, and their text from 2008 is 20% different from it, could they perhaps mean that they want you to review only the 20% that is a new translation?

In other words, the entire text is 30 000 words long, but you don't have to review all 30 000 words. The newly translated paragraphs are be marked in a different colour, for example, and then your job is to review only the new text. It's quite nice actually, for it means that you can see the new stuff in context, and you can see the old stuff more easily too.

Heather Drake
Heather Drake  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks and ... another suggestion Dec 30, 2008

Thanks for the discussion on this topic. I am considering a proofing job and had no guidelines to go by in terms of pricing. It is indeed a more complicated area than just translation charged by word, and I am uncomfortable with charging by hour inasmuch as that is a very subjective form and open to question by the outsourcer. Charging by text changed / retranslated is open to other pitfalls, as mentioned. I believe I will charge a flat fee for the whole document based on, say, USD 0.02 per w... See more
Thanks for the discussion on this topic. I am considering a proofing job and had no guidelines to go by in terms of pricing. It is indeed a more complicated area than just translation charged by word, and I am uncomfortable with charging by hour inasmuch as that is a very subjective form and open to question by the outsourcer. Charging by text changed / retranslated is open to other pitfalls, as mentioned. I believe I will charge a flat fee for the whole document based on, say, USD 0.02 per word, plus a regular translation fee per word if the average re-translated words per page exceed three.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-30 18:14 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First proofreading assignment - and I guess it is badly paid. Should I take it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »