Mobile menu

Footnotes with very long indented paragraphs
Thread poster: zabrowa
Local time: 21:22
Jan 13, 2009

This writer has very long footnotes which are sometimes indented. Even the beginning is indented, directly after the footnoted number (though I corrected this). What is the policy for this situation? Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-13 13:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
perhaps not something you have to worry about . . . Jan 13, 2009

I just took a few minutes to look at what the Chicago Manual of Style says, but it doesn't seem to address this. In the manual's examples, the notes begin flush left, one space after the period for the note number.

Chicago considers very long notes to be a vice, but in a book I edited last year, the author had two long notes (each two paragraphs in length), and my contact at the press said to let it go. I don't recall if I indented the second paragraph, but fundamentally, that is something that the typesetter and designer should decide at a later stage in the process.

If your author is under contract to a press, you could ask him to ask the press for it's house style sheet, and that might provide some guidance.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes with very long indented paragraphs

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs