Possessive acronyms: what do you think?
Thread poster: zabrowa
zabrowa
zabrowa
Local time: 06:27
Feb 9, 2009

So, this writer has decided to abbreviate the work of McCain, Palin, and Frankenstein as MPF (instead of McCain et al - though this is logical as there are several such references by this author in conjunction with others in the article and the one in question, MPF, is used very often).

However, phrasing like "MPF's analysis suggests that...." make me uneasy.

What do you think/suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In their analysis ... Feb 9, 2009

Matt Coler wrote:

So, this writer has decided to abbreviate the work of McCain, Palin, and Frankenstein as MPF (instead of McCain et al - though this is logical as there are several such references by this author in conjunction with others in the article and the one in question, MPF, is used very often).

However, phrasing like "MPF's analysis suggests that...." make me uneasy.

What do you think/suggest?

Thanks for your help!

... MPF suggested that ... (?)

MPF ?! Working on 2012 agenda? Like on how to improve the view of eastern Siberia from Palin's window?? Horror, oh horror of it all...

[Edited at 2009-02-09 12:52 GMT]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
in an academic work... Feb 9, 2009

... I would seriously question the propriety of using 'MPF' instead of 'McCain et al.'. IMHO it's OK to create an abbreviation if you are referring to an entity (concrete or abstract), but 'McCain, Palin and Frankenstein' is not an entity, although their work may be. I'd thus be willing to accept usage such as 'the MPF hypothesis' in the interest of brevity, but not MPF as an abbreviation of the names of the parties.

Héloïse Ki (X)
Héloïse Ki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:27
French to English
+ ...
It is correct Feb 9, 2009

Setting aside the question of whether the abbreviation itself is correct, there is nothing wrong with an acronym followed by 's. Eg. "the PM's decision to...", "JFK's murder" etc.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree wholeheartedly Feb 9, 2009

Ken Cox wrote:

... I would seriously question the propriety of using 'MPF' instead of 'McCain et al.'. IMHO it's OK to create an abbreviation if you are referring to an entity (concrete or abstract), but 'McCain, Palin and Frankenstein' is not an entity, although their work may be. I'd thus be willing to accept usage such as 'the MPF hypothesis' in the interest of brevity, but not MPF as an abbreviation of the names of the parties.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possessive acronyms: what do you think?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »