Differences between proofreading and linguistic review
Thread poster: vero72
vero72
vero72
Local time: 05:36
English to French
Jan 24, 2013

Please help!
Could someone explain the main differences between proofreading and linguistic reviewing?
Thanks!

almacarle
almacarle
English to Italian
+ ...
my opinion Jan 24, 2013

hallo

as I know proof reading is about contents and lexicon
linguistic rewiew is only about words, meaning, use

but I am not sure 100%, I just guess from my experience

in reality if you supervise someone else's translation, both for money both to make a friend a pleasure, you make the best possibile work, so they come to be the same thing

have a smart future both in translations and il personal life!!!!

best regards
... See more
hallo

as I know proof reading is about contents and lexicon

but I am not sure 100%, I just guess from my experience

in reality if you supervise someone else's translation, both for money both to make a friend a pleasure, you make the best possibile work, so they come to be the same thing

have a smart future both in translations and il personal life!!!!

best regards

almacarle
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Check with the client! Jan 24, 2013

There are lots of discussions on this forum about definitions, and more good advice in the Wiki
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Proofreading

But the short answer is that you have to agree with the client every time about EXACTLY what they want you to do and what they will pay for.

Clients are sometimes very hazy about the definitions, and they may not h
... See more
There are lots of discussions on this forum about definitions, and more good advice in the Wiki
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Proofreading

But the short answer is that you have to agree with the client every time about EXACTLY what they want you to do and what they will pay for.

Clients are sometimes very hazy about the definitions, and they may not have a realistic idea of the work involved. They are often amazed at the amount of time it takes, and have not budgeted to pay for it.

Others, of course, do know, but you have to check.
Collapse

vero72
vero72
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Merci ! Jan 24, 2013

Thanks all of you for your quick answers!
Christine, I will check the link below.
Would you charge the same for proofreading and linguistic reviewing?

Petro Ebersöhn (X)
Petro Ebersöhn (X)  Identity Verified
Possible difference Jan 24, 2013

could be that reviewing is 'proofreading' a book or document that has already been published or distributed before it gets reprinted or redistributed. Eg. when language use became outdated.

But I agree that it is VERY IMPORTANT to ALWAYS make sure what your client actually wants. I quite recently had a misunderstanding with a favourite client who asked for a test translation. When I sent it to her, she actually meant a reviewing of the translated book that was already published!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Brand names Jan 24, 2013

almacarle wrote:

I agree. In fact, I only know the term in relation to brand names. No doubt there are other uses, though.

Cheers,

Hans

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The difference Jan 25, 2013

Proofreading is one stage of the reviewing process. The other stage is editing.

Yes, you should clarify with you your client which type of work is expected, and yes,
every time.

vero72
vero72
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for your answers...I appreciate your feedback!

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
FWIW Feb 1, 2013

FWIW, I would say that linguistic review is just checking the translated text to make sure it flows and the syntax is good (eradicating any grammar or spelling errors along the way), sometimes without having access to the source text, and proofreading includes that as well as checking that it is a good translation i.e., if there are technical terms, researching these to ensure that the translator has translated them correctly etc.

I do agree with others though in that it's best to
... See more
FWIW, I would say that linguistic review is just checking the translated text to make sure it flows and the syntax is good (eradicating any grammar or spelling errors along the way), sometimes without having access to the source text, and proofreading includes that as well as checking that it is a good translation i.e., if there are technical terms, researching these to ensure that the translator has translated them correctly etc.

I do agree with others though in that it's best to check with the client.
I would charge the same for both since I would charge an hourly rate, meaning that the trickier the job is, the most time it takes, ergo the more I get paid.

It's really the only way to charge for proofreading/review as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes you have a fantastic translation which is almost free of errors and it takes you no time at all (then the client benefits from having chosen a qualified translator in the first place), and sometimes you have to rewrite the whole entire text (then the client has to pay more for the proofreading and can use that information to improve the process for selecting translators, or not as the case may be).
Collapse

vero72
vero72
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Feb 1, 2013

Oh thanks Marie-Helene, I think I get it now Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Differences between proofreading and linguistic review

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »