Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Monolingual proofreading Sep 4, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It sounds to me as though you should tell the agency that you'll perform monolingual proofreading on this file. Inform them that you're 'throwing away' the source text; you won't be referring to it at all. You'll simply be reading the target text, correcting any typos, spelling and punctuation errors, and tidying it up so that it's grammatical and flows well.

This is essentially what I have resorted to!

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A compromise Sep 4, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

I'd correct for grammar and style, then mark anything not in the original with a comment saying "not in original text", just as I would insert (minor) missing text and then mark it with a comment saying "original text missing from translation".

This way, you inform the client of the differences between the source and target texts while allowing him the option to retain or remove them.

Isn't it your job to delete any information that is not found in the source text and add information that is missing in the target language text? When you delete or add anything the client will be able to see it with Track changes markings. Why do you even need to put a comment?

It's a compromise between what the client requested when contacted (to leave it all in) and what I would do as an editor with the original (delete it). I would absolutely not be comfortable with leaving in something not in the original. Of course, track changes would allow the client to confirm or reject any deletions, but I would prefer to comply with the client and leave the text in as requested.

Had nothing been discussed, I would simply delete/insert text as needed.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:37
Chinese to English
If you resort to monolingual proofreading you should notify the agency Sep 4, 2015

*Edit*:After re-reading your post, I've realized you may have told the agency that you'll only be performing monolingual proofreading, and if so then Cheers and Nothing To See Here!

Of all the options, the only one that is clearly not acceptable is changing to monolingual proofreading only without notifying the agency of this change. The end client likely has you reading this not to correct additions by the translator (we know this as the agency told you not to correct them), but ra
... See more
*Edit*:After re-reading your post, I've realized you may have told the agency that you'll only be performing monolingual proofreading, and if so then Cheers and Nothing To See Here!

Of all the options, the only one that is clearly not acceptable is changing to monolingual proofreading only without notifying the agency of this change. The end client likely has you reading this not to correct additions by the translator (we know this as the agency told you not to correct them), but rather to correct any glaring mistakes.

Conducting monolingual proofreading only without notifying the agency could lead to serious problems for the end client. Even expert doctors occasionally switch 'right' and 'left' on medical forms, and it seems to me that you've been brought in to catch exactly this sort of thing.

At the very least you should be sure that you've compared the original text and the source text enough to ensure there are no clear mistakes (left vs. right, kidney vs. liver, etc.). Ideally, I think the idea of flagging all additions with comments is an excellent one as well.

[Edited at 2015-09-04 21:06 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:37
French to German
+ ...
Ask the agency Sep 4, 2015

I'd discuss that with the agency and ask them how they want you to proceed.

If what they'll ask you for will take much more time than you thought before ask for a better rate (even if before you agreed to a fixed per word rate).

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
"delete/insert text as needed" is always the right approach Sep 4, 2015

It's a compromise between what the client requested when contacted (to leave it all in) and what I would do as an editor with the original (delete it). I would absolutely not be comfortable with leaving in something not in the original. Of course, track changes would allow the client to confirm or reject any deletions, but I would prefer to comply with the client and leave the text in as requested.

I think you are right in your attempt to delete the extra words and phrases. The client didn't know what he was saying when he said "leaving it all in", or the client didn't understand your concern at all.
Adding or omitting something in the target text could make the translation critically wrong.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Not in this instance Sep 5, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I think you are right in your attempt to delete the extra words and phrases. The client didn't know what he was saying when he said "leaving it all in", or the client didn't understand your concern at all.
Adding or omitting something in the target text could make the translation critically wrong.

Usually I would agree, but the agency has already said that additions should be left in. For all we know the translator was hired by the end client directly because of their expertise, and the agency's only role is to provide an edit of obvious mistakes.

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 22:37
Touch with client Oct 7, 2015

I think the key to have performed duties that you are asked to do and the organization or the client can then work further. Before translating the original piece into another, you better get in touch with your client. You are hired for proofreading, and that is what you will be paid for. Being a proofreader, you are not expected to make any changes in the content. It is just the gram... See more
I think the key to have performed duties that you are asked to do and the organization or the client can then work further. Before translating the original piece into another, you better get in touch with your client. You are hired for proofreading, and that is what you will be paid for. Being a proofreader, you are not expected to make any changes in the content. It is just the grammatical or spelling mistakes that you come across that need to be corrected. Even while doing so, make sure you do not change the meaning to the sentence.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading a very "liberal" translation: advice needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »