gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:29
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2001

I would like to start here a global discussion about anonymity on the whole ProZ site.

I have seen many complaints about the peer grading, near-anonymous job posting, anonymous requests for terms, etc...There are also many ProZ members with empty profiles, which are in fact anonymous.

If the site is dedicated to translation professionals, self-help, exchange of ideas and advice, making contacts and networking, finding and sharing jobs, I wonder what is
... See more
I would like to start here a global discussion about anonymity on the whole ProZ site.

I have seen many complaints about the peer grading, near-anonymous job posting, anonymous requests for terms, etc...There are also many ProZ members with empty profiles, which are in fact anonymous.

If the site is dedicated to translation professionals, self-help, exchange of ideas and advice, making contacts and networking, finding and sharing jobs, I wonder what is the value added by all the above mentioned forms of anonymity.

I suggest to eliminate all anonymous contributions as they are often not valuable anyway and to restrict the site to the more valuable core membership that produces a real name and identification details.

In my opinion anonymous contributions (all of them: queries, jobs, forum postings, etc...) are 99% of times a complete waste of time and restricting them will be a very small loss indeed.

In particular, unqualified jobs should be absolutely banned.

The job posts should be fully identified or not accepted at all.

I\'ll leave the details about the methods for implementing such policies to the public discussion and ultimately to the site managers, but I would like to suggest a number of possible methods, to make my point clearer.

1. Invite all members to complete their details and to be clearly identifiable as a real person, not simply a nickname.

2. Restrict access to queries, jobs, forums for anonymous members or not members.

3. Identify clearly freelancers from agencies, using for example a symbol next to their name (FL or AG, and perhaps even using 2 different colours).

4. Vet all members qualified as agencies to check that they correspond to real business and not to fantasy names.

5. Accept job postings only from vetted agencies members.

All these measures should contribute to make ProZ a really professional place where to stay in touch with colleagues, find jobs and generally enjoy.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-06-27 03:12 ]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 01:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 27, 2001

These are really thought provoking suggestions. Let us make PROZ.COM truly a cooperative of the translators. Let us eliminate the anonymous people. If they do not want to come forward openly, what is the use of sharing fraternity with us. I was surprised that there are many blank profiles. Then again, the Job posters who do not give their e- mail, address or telephone numbers. I have heard the argument that jobs posters do not want to be flooded with bids and hence they do not give their e-mails... See more
These are really thought provoking suggestions. Let us make PROZ.COM truly a cooperative of the translators. Let us eliminate the anonymous people. If they do not want to come forward openly, what is the use of sharing fraternity with us. I was surprised that there are many blank profiles. Then again, the Job posters who do not give their e- mail, address or telephone numbers. I have heard the argument that jobs posters do not want to be flooded with bids and hence they do not give their e-mails.You mean our colleagues on this site are hungry for jobs?Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:29
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jun 27, 2001

Yes, my suggestions are meant to be constructively provoking and to spark a frank discussion about what ProZ is today and what it wants to be in the future.

An important step towards a even better service is to start \'weeding\' anonymous, inactive, indifferent and timewasting members and cultivate the large membership of real value.

And this is valid for both categories of members: freelancers and agencies.
... See more
Yes, my suggestions are meant to be constructively provoking and to spark a frank discussion about what ProZ is today and what it wants to be in the future.

An important step towards a even better service is to start \'weeding\' anonymous, inactive, indifferent and timewasting members and cultivate the large membership of real value.

And this is valid for both categories of members: freelancers and agencies.

Ideally, it should be achieved a quality standard such to render trustworthy by default most of the content posted in ProZ areas, in particular jobs advertised by real businesses.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-06-27 06:29 ]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 27, 2001

I endorse the spirit and sincerity with which you speak. Let your voice be heard by the people who matter and hope that this will be real cooperative of the translators.

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 7, 2001

I would second all proposals for elimination of anonymity on the site. Very welcome suggestion. I\'m sure my profile would give all identifiers.
[addsig]

max (X)
max (X)
Local time: 13:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Anonymity Nov 21, 2001

I could not agree more on what has been proposed up to date on the elimination of anonymity. This is a site for professionals and their needs, and we should keep it that way. I propose we stop answering questions and bidding to anonymous jobs.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-21 13:09 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About anonymity in general...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »