Should only the asker award KudoZ points??
Thread poster: eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2001

This is a question that hit me the other day.

Background: if and when I decide to post a KudoZ answer, I do so to assist fellow colleagues. But of course, it is always nice to be appreciated.

Check keyword \"Schlittenversuchsanlage\" (DEU>ENG); I posted the correct term (sled-test facility - context: crash tests); another member had posted a very general answer, in fact, without giving a real answer at all (actually, even admitting that she did not know
... See more
This is a question that hit me the other day.

Background: if and when I decide to post a KudoZ answer, I do so to assist fellow colleagues. But of course, it is always nice to be appreciated.

Check keyword \"Schlittenversuchsanlage\" (DEU>ENG); I posted the correct term (sled-test facility - context: crash tests); another member had posted a very general answer, in fact, without giving a real answer at all (actually, even admitting that she did not know what the question was all about). But she got the points!

You might think I am upset over losing points. No.

The problem is the ProZ Glossary: I entered my term into the glossary for that question because I felt that users of the glossary should not be misled by wrong answers (I mean, if the asker wants to put that into her translation, well, good luck to her).

I believe therefore that the asker should not be the only one to decide on whose answer gets chosen - this is a clear example where an asker does not know how to deal with answers he or she receives.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

The asker of that question has contacted me in the meantime, confirming that it was a \"slip of the mouse\". All the more reason to have a safeguard in place (we definitely need more editing features - e.g., editing one\'s KudoZ answer,etc.)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-11 12:45 ]
Collapse

Blanca Rodriguez
Blanca Rodriguez
Local time: 21:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 22, 2001

I absolutely agree with your suggestion about editing our Kudoz answers. I have sometimes found that I forgot writing something important or even misread the question right after I clicked the submit button.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should only the asker award KudoZ points??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »