Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Search for Teams: should we have this new function?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 04:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 4, 2002

Both as a freelancer and a recruiting manager, I feel that this would be a valuable addition to Proz.com. With other Proz.com colleagues we had formed several teams, which have worked really well in the past. A team can offer added capability to the freelance translator and more reliable service to an outsourcer.

The teams could be searchable by subject matter (automotive, reproductive technologies) and by language pairs.

What do other think?

<
... See more
Both as a freelancer and a recruiting manager, I feel that this would be a valuable addition to Proz.com. With other Proz.com colleagues we had formed several teams, which have worked really well in the past. A team can offer added capability to the freelance translator and more reliable service to an outsourcer.

The teams could be searchable by subject matter (automotive, reproductive technologies) and by language pairs.

What do other think?

paola l m

Collapse

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea! Apr 4, 2002

I totally agree with you Paola.

Best regards,

Patricia

Margaret Lagoyianni
Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:22
English to Greek
+ ...
Good suggestion Apr 4, 2002

I\'ve only been on proz. for 3 months and have had no job offers to date. Maybe I\'m biased but I would love to be approached by fellow proz to operate as a team member.

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
What do you mean by "new" function? Apr 4, 2002

Paola wrote: \"With other Proz.com colleagues we had formed several teams, which have worked really well in the past.\"

Paola,

A couple of months ago, I also joined a ProZ team upon invitation. Do you mean those are not searchable somehow? If not, who knows where to look for them? I do not think I would like to continue to be part of an obscure team with no exposure.

Ciao,

Jacek

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the same way we search for "pros" Apr 4, 2002

this is what I meant, Jacek, a search function by team, for the outsourcers who have bigger projects to be divided among translators.

got to run

ciao Patricia e ciao Jacek

paola

Chiara Santoriello
Chiara Santoriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:22
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I think it's a good idea Apr 4, 2002

Hi Paola.

I agree with you. It could be a very good idea.

Chiara

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes, excellent idea Paola Apr 4, 2002

I set up a first team several months ago, but have been able to bid on only a few projects (rather unsuccesfully).

Maybe it\'s time I start doing something about it and will therefore diversify (several teams, different languages, different subjects). Right now I have a few people I worked with on quite a regular basis, but always on different subjects and in different languages.

If the feature you mentioned could be implemented, it would indeed be very helpful.<
... See more
I set up a first team several months ago, but have been able to bid on only a few projects (rather unsuccesfully).

Maybe it\'s time I start doing something about it and will therefore diversify (several teams, different languages, different subjects). Right now I have a few people I worked with on quite a regular basis, but always on different subjects and in different languages.

If the feature you mentioned could be implemented, it would indeed be very helpful.

[addsig]
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Why isn't this my idea? :-) Apr 4, 2002

I think it\'s worth trying it. Also it would save time for outsourcers, first for they would have all of us sorted by categories and the one they needed at a glance, second they could approach us themselves and would not have to go through the, I guess, quite boring and time-consuming bidding process.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree Paola Apr 4, 2002

As always, you just have (get) good ideas!

Monika
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Good idea! Apr 4, 2002

You just never know: Henry recently said that there would be several new features. So, maybe this search feature will be one of them.

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Paola. I was glad to read your notes. Apr 4, 2002

Thank you for publishing the idea which was first suggested as long ago as in times when we communicated via ecircle (or something similar). It is called VTT (virtual translation team) and has already been implemented.

You may ask: why did not we already have those teams on site? I can answer (and I think that I can do the same for almost all questions. 0) In my profile I have indication about the issue; 1) The VTT bids and works CANNOT
... See more
Thank you for publishing the idea which was first suggested as long ago as in times when we communicated via ecircle (or something similar). It is called VTT (virtual translation team) and has already been implemented.

You may ask: why did not we already have those teams on site? I can answer (and I think that I can do the same for almost all questions. 0) In my profile I have indication about the issue; 1) The VTT bids and works CANNOT be published as widely as usual and personalized individual bids. People working in VTTs usually check each other long enough for being almost absolutely sure in colleague\'s capacities, level, team spirit, etc. 2) My practice shows that in some sporadic projects you MAY create one team, while for other projects you (sometimes you simply MUST do this) form an absolutely different one. 3) For long-term jobs these VTT also are rather specific. This activity of mine already brought some interesting results. For instance, just yeasterday I got invitation for editing one rather large and serious monograph (Ge into Ru). It was not the first proposal in this year...

So, after serious analysis of site content and my own practice related to an implementation of the idea, I arrived at some conclusions: a) in some cases, not real VTT members, but persons considering themselves as such members, turn to be too non-professional; b) nevertheless, they understand very well the general idea, its expediency, and try to exploit it in their own manner lol ; c) such \"exploitation\" in some cases simply kills the idea. Because, if persons who like very much Beatles but are tone-deaf pick up 3 guitars and a drum, nobody could ensure the result

An old anekdot from Odessa:

A. \"...those Beatles, they cannot sing at all! No voice, idiotic pronounciation, and they sing out of tune..\"

B. \"Where you heard \'em?!\"

A. \"My friend sang me one of their hits yesterday by phone!...\"

-----------

I do hope, we all have good humour sense (note that I know the right word order )

Yours,

Tagir.

PS. Sorry for mistyping if any.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-04 21:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 07:25 ]
Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 02:22
French to English
+ ...
great idea Apr 4, 2002

I would love to work as part of a team. However, I must admit I have been put off by the quibbling that goes on between some translators. We all bring our personal point of view. Even in technical translations, more than one phrase can be correct. If I propose an answer after 1 or 2 others, it\'s because I think the questioner may prefer another option for whatever reason. Sometimes it\'s as simple as not wanting to re-use the same word over again, which can make technical texts monotonous. ... See more
I would love to work as part of a team. However, I must admit I have been put off by the quibbling that goes on between some translators. We all bring our personal point of view. Even in technical translations, more than one phrase can be correct. If I propose an answer after 1 or 2 others, it\'s because I think the questioner may prefer another option for whatever reason. Sometimes it\'s as simple as not wanting to re-use the same word over again, which can make technical texts monotonous. I would also like to add that I don\'t take it personally if my answer is not accepted. We are all different-that is our strength, especially if we work as a team.
[addsig]
Collapse

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Apr 4, 2002

I agree with you. I\'ve decided to build my own team. It would be great if new features would be offer.

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 09:22
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Good idea! Apr 7, 2002

What else is there left to say?
[addsig]

max (X)
max (X)
Local time: 01:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Posted about two months ago and got no response Apr 8, 2002

Well, well, I posted this subject about two months ago, and I never received an answer from anybody. I went ahead and started networking within the spanish community here in PROZ, and we already have a group called EQUIPO UNO. We hope this will help us grow as a community and as translators and translation teams. Cristina

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search for Teams: should we have this new function?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »